Thread: How to mount folders on external drive to user folders to create more space

How to mount folders on external drive to user folders to create more space

I have recently installed Windows 7 on my pc. I needed Windows 7 for my degree course and iPod. I have stored only 30 GB of space. I want more space for storage space so I have bought external drive. But I want to shift the user folders to another drive. But there will be huge advantage if I mount folders on external drive to user folders. But I don’t know the exact procedure to do it. Can you kindly suggest me how to do it?? Any help regarding this will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

re: How to mount folders on external drive to user folders to create more space

This is a very simple process. You should do as following:

• You should direct in windows explorer where you are planning to move the default user folder.
    • Create a New Folder by right clicking on a empty space in the main window there, and click on New and Folder. Name the new folder the exact same name as the user folder that you want to move there.
    • Close the windows explorer.
    • Open the Start Menu, and type shell:UsersFilesFolder in the search engine and click enter.
    • Right click on a user folder that you want to move the default location to, and click on Properties.
    • Click on the Location tab and also click on Move button.
    • Direct to the same location and select the new name folder and click on the select folder button.
    • Click on move and yes. You will find that location has been changed. You will notice that the folder at the location you moved the user folder to, has default user folder icon.

I will suggest you to create a new library. There are four default libraries (Documents, Music, Pictures, and Videos) already situated in the PC. Click your user name which opens your personal folder and click libraries. On the toolbar click new libraries. Type any name for your library and press enter.

Arrange the items in library by different ways using arrange by menu which is located in the library panel. Include the default folders in the library and save the location.

Thanks a lot friends for giving me relevant information about this topic. Really appreciated. It will be easy for me to mount folders on external drive to user folders. Thanks again.