Thread: how to connect old Polk tv Audio speakers to computer now?

how to connect old Polk tv Audio speakers to computer now?

Hi, I had old television set which is not working now. I took out the audio speakers from it. They are Polk Audio speakers and still work fine. Is there any chance that I can connect it to the computer? I am ready to do any modification with it! If anybody knows this please reply?

Re: how to connect old Polk tv Audio speakers to computer now?

Well this depends on what type of speakers are these! Does it have any plug or it has proper wire to insert into the speaker gauge? If you have plug with it then try providing the direct power to it otherwise you will need adapter to provide the power. I haven’t heard anyone doing this before so I am also keen to hear your results. Thank you.

I don’t understand the wiring it has, it doesn’t have any plug but have several wires to it. Probably a pair of receiver and transmitter .How do I connect it? i know i will require a AUX wire but can i directly connect it to the speakers?or do i need another hardware for this?

See I don’t know what type of wire you have there but I can tell you the concept behind this. Speakers need to have the internal amplifiers to work on the computer system. Computer or laptop has the capacity to provide the power to headphones only. You need to have some sort of amplifying device to work with this. Computer has the digital output it will work with the digital audio output only. Check if your speakers have digital audio output.

I guess that means you have analog stereo speakers .you will need hi-fi system or stereo amplifier to use your speakers depending on how much power does they require to work.

you will need some wiring to use your speakers. You will need the cable with male mini jack with one end having two splits into 2 male RCA ends. Now connect it to the amplifying device or stereo that you have. Connect stereo to the computer with AUX wire and enjoy the quality. For some surround sound you can arrange your speakers as you want around the computers

Thank you very much for your help guys. This information was very useful to me. I am using new homemade speakers with my computer. This was short and very precise reply from you. I was searching on the web but getting too much complicated answers that were hard to understand. These speakers are giving loud sound but the quality of sound is not like as we are used to with digital 2.1 speakers. I will use them till i find any harm or drawback of it.