Thread: HDD does not detected in dell dimension 8100

HDD does not detected in dell dimension 8100

I have dell dimension 8100 desktop computer and I was using 40Gb hard disk in my computer and after that I have decided to replace the hard disk with 80 GB. Now after that when I connect my 80Gb hard disk with my computer at that time it does not detected by my computer. Now please tell me what I should do to solve this problem.

Re: HDD does not detected in dell dimension 8100

I will first suggest you that you should disconnect the Hard disk from your computer and after that you have to connect your hard disk with your computer properly again and after reconnecting hard disk with your computer you have to check whether your system is detecting it or not. Try this trick and then let me know results.

Many times because of the incorrect jumper setting BIOS in our system is not able to detect the HDD and that is why I would like to tell you that you should first check jumper setting. In your computer if you are using single HDD with cable and there is no other device connected with cable then you don’t have to jumper as a master drive but it should be a signal drive.

Yes I am also agree with the above post if your HDD is only device connected with the cable then you have to jumper as a single drive and then check whether your computer is able to detect the hard drive or not. as far as I know after trying this solution your problem will get solved.

To jumper the hard drive as single drive you have to first remove the jumper completely and after removing that you have to set as single drive. You cam also do this by placing jumper shunt on 4th and 6th pin. Try this solution and after that you have to start the computer and then you have to check whether same problem is occurring or not.

You should connect your hard drive with other computer and after connecting the hard drive with other computer you have to check whether it gets detected in that system or not. if you get the same problem then problem is with the hard drive with different computer also then it means problem is with the hard drive only and if hard drive works fine then there is something wrong with your PC.

I have searched the solution on the internet regarding this problem and after that I came to know that in case of using older systems this type of problem occurs and that is why by using the Alternate Jumper Settings you can solve this problem. I think in your case same thing is happening and that is why I will suggest you to use Alternate Jumper Settings and after that your problem will get solved.

First try this solution in your computer and then let me know what the result is.

In my computer I have removed hard disk from my computer and after that I have connected the hard drive again with my computer and after doing that also I get same problem. Now after that I have also tried different jumper setting but that does not helped me to fix this problem. When I have connected my hard drive with different computer at that time it does not give me any problem. Is there anything wrong with my computer?

If any have solution regarding this problem then let me know.

You have mentioned that your hard disk is working fine other computer and you have also tried alternate jumper setting and after that also same problem is occurring with your computer and that is why I would like to tell you that you can solve this problem by updating the BIOS. Many times by updating the BIOS this type of problem get solved easily. There was similar problem occurred with my old computer also and after that i have update BIOS in my computer and after updating the BIOS all the things started working properly. I think you should also try this solution and then your problem will get solved.

If you want to update the BIOS in your dell dimension 8100 then follow these steps.

• First you have to download the latest BIOS file from the official site of the dell.
    • After that make bootable CD to update the BIOS
    • After that you have to restart the computer
    • After restarting the computer you have to update the BIOS in your computer.
    • Now after updating the BIOS you have to check whether same problem is coming or not.

I have downloaded the latest BIOS update file from the internet and after that I have made bootable CD and then i have update the BIOS in my computer and after updating the BIOS in my computer when I tried to use my hard drive with my computer at that time it worked fine.