Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Is SSD best for HTPC connected with LiveTV

Hardware Peripherals

Old 29-12-2011

Is SSD best for HTPC connected with LiveTV

Many of use records LiveTV on their HTPC. I do that to watch some news. My HTPC has a SSD drive connected to it. Now I just found that SSD is a small device and does I am putting a load on the drive by downloading the programs. While this shorten the life of ssd. I am using the system for last 2 months. I have 2 regular drives with 1SSD. I had set the recording to the SSD. It is just by custom build system. I had not noticed any issue here, but it is just a thought that might live recording can reduce the life span of SSD. There are ample of HTPC which comes with SSD drive setup. And it is also costlier than regular one. So in my views using the regular drives are much better than going for a SSD.

Old 29-12-2011

Re: Is SSD best for HTPC connected with LiveTV

It is not correct. SSD's are more durable than regular drives. You do not need to worry on the same unless there is no hardware fault. I think SSD's are more reliable than other drives.
Old 29-12-2011

The reason to us SSD is to get a better boot time. in comparison to regular drives. They are slower and it takes time to load fast. BIOS or driver initialization will be reduced a bit. SSD puts a less pressure on your system and it is faster in performance. SSD drives are perfect for the home theater PC. The acronym stands for Solid State Drive SSD, which means so much as drive with no moving parts. An SSD has over a regular hard drive has the decisive advantage to use less electricity, not to cause noise and really fast and surely they are costly.
Old 29-12-2011

I do not thing that what you are saying might be correct. SSD might not have any effect with live recording. You can use it and upgrade it as you want.
Old 29-12-2011

SSD are fine. I have two in my server. They consume less energy and they also do not have risk of spinning very fast disk which can cause head crash. Less energy consumption means your system can utilize more power in need. SSD speeds are very nice and higher. Without any restriction you can transfer a higher number of data and read data per minute in much better. The only thing to worry is to check the compatibility. Some SSD drives lack compatibility with some older systems. If you are using that already then there is nothing much to look out. They also lack storage space in comparison to regular drives. They also have a much longer life span than the regular drives.
Old 29-12-2011

I think it is not wise to use SSD for HTCP as at a ver less time you can hear that the space is full. They do not higher storage space which traditional drives have which is a issue.
Old 29-12-2011

It is right that SSD do lack in space but they might be affected with live recording is not right. If you want a better increase ni performance and reliability then you can use this drives. The speed is increased a much higher time which allows you to view buffer less videos on multiple devices. Also they have Long-Term Data Endurance support which safeguard your data for longer times.

TechArena Community > Hardware > Hardware Peripherals
Tags: , , , ,