Thread: Because of high HDD price can I use external Hard drive as internal

Because of high HDD price can I use external Hard drive as internal

The hard drive prices are so high still and as the news says flood in taiwan I am not sure this is going to come down in the coming 6 months. I have 4 external drives which I use via usb mode at my office. They are 2x250 and 2x1TB drives. I had purchased them for backup. Now anyhow due to some additional work, I had been told to expand my storage. If I go for new drives I am almost paying 40% higher than the price I had purchased some months before. Is there a way by which I can use this drives the existing one, inside the system. Atleast for a year and once the prices are down I can buy some in bulk. I tried to find some converter type stuff in my nearest shop, but he said that it can be complicated. I do not want to spend more on technician and looking for DIY steps. It is also fine if I can connect all of them inside one system. I just have to upgrade my office server.

Re: Because of high HDD price can I use external Hard drive as internal

It is possible. But first you have to check that your usb drive has compatible connection which will be identified by your pc. The connection is located inside the box. You have to open up and see it. Try to add your drives model, which can give you more info.

You must be aware that opening up your drives can loose the manufacturers warranty. So that should entirely on your risk. If you are opening then you have to check that below the usb connector you can manage to add any kind of connection which it will support. There are certain connectors which can help you for the process. But that needs to completely dismantling the drive from its enclosure. It is not easily to find such enclosure. They can be costly too. You can try connecting the drives via usb to server and using a tool which support NAS. Just by providing the location of your external drive your data will be transferred to the external drives. Later on you can try to get new drives which is a better alternative other than sloping your existing drives. Once you opened it there are less chances whether this will work or not.

There is a small cable called as USB To Sata Adapter. I am not sure whether this will work on boot. You can connect the usb drive to it and use the sata connector on the end to connect the drive internally. Hope by this you can utilize everything.

It is very easy to make a internal drive to external. But making a external to internal can be a complicate process. Why the reason is modification and compatibility. External drives mostly work on usb connection for power and connection. While internal drives have both separate. There is a separate connection of power and for connecting to board. So in that case you have to do more modification. There are very rare enclosure which does this job and that too there is no full guarantee that it will work. I will recommend you not to convert them or else you will not be able to use them for future purpose. Hard drive prices might be coming down soon as the industries of taiwan will be restored. You have to wait back.

This is not possible unless there is a tradition had drive used inside the enclosure. If it is portable or branded drives the you cannot do this.

The job is easier if you know what is the exact drive inside it. If it is a sata or ide connection which was by default used before, then it is not a big job. Just get a sata or ide connector and fix the drive inside. You might have notice that older drives have two connectors which consist of power and connection. You can use that kind of drives inside your system. It is right there are enclosure which can convert your external drive to internal. The issue is related to the socket which is difference in the drives you had purchased.

If you are looking for additional storage for your service then there is a solution. First you have 4 external drives that are surely working on usb connection. Second if you can arrange a NAS device + USB NAS adapter then it is possible to connect those drives to it. It is easy to manage. You can buy a 4 port extension and connect the same to your NAS device. If you do not want to spent for the NAS drive you can just create a NAS system in your pc itself by using a NAS software and connect that extension to the backside of system on usb port.