Thread: How to use a internal dvd burner as external dvd burner

How to use a internal dvd burner as external dvd burner

Is it possible to use internal DVD burner as a external device. I have 3 DVD burners with me which are pending. I want to use them up. My friends are having net books with them. And to utilize the current burners, I just want to know whether it is possible to use them as external dvd burner. The portable ones are costly. If possible, I can share the same with my friends.

Re: How to use a internal dvd burner as external dvd burner

Yes it is possible with the help of a usb 2.0 enclosure. If the enclosure is appropriate you can use the dvd as a external burner via usb interface. You will need to provide additional power source to the same. There can be variation in the burning speed depends on the interface you are using.

Search on amazon there are ample of external dvd enclosure. The cost is around 32.95 or more. You just need to put the DVD burner inside it and screw it up. It has additional power source. Connect the same via usb interface. This enclosure are costly. But in comparison to them external usb dvd player are more cheaper. I think in that amount you can purchase around 3 or more usb dvd players. If you do not want to waste them, then you can also add them on latest motherboard with the help of ide to sata converter. The enclosure is costlier than regular external usb dvd players.

Keep them aside or just connect them all in your system. There are two options you can use. First as said above buy a costly external usb enclosure or buy a IDE to SATA Cable. This cable has not warranties and it works on luck. There are not warranty on the same. Many bios does not support this card, but this is a cheap alternative for your issue. Try to give the same to your friends or any people who own old system with ide connection. As there is no value for DVD burners. They are very cheap and you can hardly found anyone selling it for second hand. USB dvd players are fine but they lack speed of burning due to limitation of the interface. Enclosure are heavy to carry, you cannot carry each of them with you. They are quiet a big box.