Thread: Hdd won't initialize

Hdd won't initialize

Hello,
    ASUS M3A ACPI Bios rev 0501
    AMD 64 X2 5400+ 2.8 Ghz
    2GB ram
    32 bit Win7 ultimate fresh install
    1 TB Hdd
    I had a 500GB WD hdd with XP Home installed previously which got a virus and I removed the 500GB and replaced it with the 1TB and Win7 Ult. Everything seems ok (Win 7 may be a little much for this machine), I tried to recover pics and files from my 500GB by connecting through an ext sleeve via USB ( tried every port). Device manager sees it as USB storage working properly, Disk manager sees it as unknown and wont initialize it, just says device not ready. Hopefully, i provided enogh info to get some answers,
    Thanks alot

Re: Hdd won't initialize

This can be a problem with the electonics in the case, with the cable, with the port, or with the drive. If you open the drive case, it's got an ordinary hard disk inside, and you can just remove that and attach it to your system (for example, to the IDE chain or to an open SATA port) - of course after powering down.

Quote Originally Posted by appy10 View Post
    This can be a problem with the electonics in the case, with the cable, with the port, or with the drive. If you open the drive case, it's got an ordinary hard disk inside, and you can just remove that and attach it to your system (for example, to the IDE chain or to an open SATA port) - of course after powering down.
    Tried a few different sleeves, ports, cables I'm trying to avoid putting this drive in my PC cause of the "virus", but now Im thinking maybe its not a virus after all and maybe the disk is actually bad.

Have you tried going into safe mode and then plugging it in and checked if its working well or not. Also have you checked in the disk management, where it says the disk is not initialized, there will be a little red arrow on the disk icon on the left of the unallocated space. Right click on the little red arrow and select initialize disk.

Quote Originally Posted by t.j. View Post
    Have you tried going into safe mode and then plugging it in and checked if its working well or not. Also have you checked in the disk management, where it says the disk is not initialized, there will be a little red arrow on the disk icon on the left of the unallocated space. Right click on the little red arrow and select initialize disk.
    Ok, Ive tried everything mentioned and still cant get it. Disk manager sees the drive but will not give me the option to initialize, it did before but when I click it, it said device not ready. Now the only option is offline and when I click that it says incorrect function.
    Worst case scenario.. how much does it cost to have it done professionally, or is there more options?
    Im no IT, but I do know my way around a computer. Thanks guys