Thread: How can I Silence Western Digital VelociRaptor HDD

How can I Silence Western Digital VelociRaptor HDD

Hi guys

My rig is making too much of noise really very annoying at time I really am not able to stand however I have found the hardware that is making that noise and the credit for this goes to Western Digital VelociRaptor HDD now I have setup 4 HD SSD that is for the Operating system plus 2x Velociraptors on the Raid0 for Audio with 7200rpm for samples does anybody here have any idea how to make it quite It is actually good sound case and it also contain a rubber dampening also but this sound is really a big problem now can any one here help me on tshi I would be really glad to know this thanks

Re: How can I Silence Western Digital VelociRaptor HDD

I have one suggestion that you can use I am not sure whether it will be worth or not but I think it will help to get the sound reduced what I propose is you get the Smart Drive Neo SATA HDD Silencer that will help to reduce the sound that comes from the VelociRaptor HDD hope this will help you

That is really look like a good option that you have give but that also depend on the size of the Raptors to be worth the buy so can you give me the information on the size of the Raptors that is how much GB of size so that I can give you the proper reply to your question

Thanks for the reply I really appreciate and will consider for what you have suggested by the way the size of the VelociRaptor HDD is 150 GB each so the total Raid is of 300 GB

That is actually the excess of size for me though was just thinking to swap them for a 120GB SSD if that makes more sense however to my knowledge SSDs for Audio is not suggested. should I replace my velociraptors

All I can say is if it takes is £80 that mean you have to just spend the £160 and the shipping charges to get the 2 Smart Drive Neo SATA HDD Silencer not look like a wise option to me so if you will purchase 2 x 120 GB OCZ Agility 3 SATA III 2.5 which comes for about £60-£70 more and you will then have the Silent running with less Amp draw perhaps up to 1000Mb/s read and write speed in Raid0 and will state some real-estate inside your case hope this information prove to be helpful

Thanks once again look like an option for me

however is SSD for audio is a good option for my computer I have came across may article that do not recommend this I am not sure if it’s for the file size or something else but can you tell me SSD for audio can it work

Hi

I am not certain what type of audio files that is you computer is making use of however I did many of multi-track recording with the help of Cubase. The operating system was install in the SSD and I utilize an extra couple of SSD's as my main recording disks. That never caused me any kind of problem at all but the only real thing that effected was the speed at which the whole thing is being accessed and use.

Quote Originally Posted by Nivedita View Post
    Thanks once again look like an option for me

however is SSD for audio is a good option for my computer I have came across may article that do not recommend this I am not sure if it’s for the file size or something else but can you tell me SSD for audio can it work
    I don’t think that would be a problem of any type what I mean to say here is data is data whether it be a zero's or more than that or don’t matter wher it came from an memory stick or, a SSD a . the computer does not distinguish among that for instance if you look at the modern DJ console every the music is kept in the SD cards and that would not make any difference

See I don’t see any difference or be any king of being any troubles with Sonar plus that working with your recorded audio files on SSD's. the way of maintain the noise of the PC less and you make out how significant that is in a recording environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadou View Post
    All I can say is if it takes is £80 that mean you have to just spend the £160 and the shipping charges to get the 2 Smart Drive Neo SATA HDD Silencer not look like a wise option to me so if you will purchase 2 x 120 GB OCZ Agility 3 SATA III 2.5 which comes for about £60-£70 more and you will then have the Silent running with less Amp draw perhaps up to 1000Mb/s read and write speed in Raid0 and will state some real-estate inside your case hope this information prove to be helpful

Hey I want to ask that does the SATA 6GB/s a will to acquire that king of speeds?
    I've seen for an Agility 3 at present, however I believe to obtain about 550MB/s you must have to utilize the 6GB/s ports.
    All these will be on my UD3R 2.0 the Marvell 9128 chip

I believe that is what we are trying avoid here

What most of the people here don’t see is that Sata2 is the great option for 500Mb/s per channel on the ICH10R however you don’t find 550/s , however you'll be bit close to that otherwise you get the Raid card route but there is also few difficulty I also have the a raid card with TWO 9128 chips fixed in it however it execute well,