Thread: Never defrag Seagate Momentus XT??

Never defrag Seagate Momentus XT??

HEy all, i am using a Seagate Momentus XT on a G73sw from the last few months and now i am getting that after big defrag, i am getting that some lag pike and also i am getting that this is freeze when using FireFox or the internet explorer, and also the same thing happens when i am typing the message on the web. why this is happening with me? is there any suggestion for resolving this issue?? is yes then please reply me back about this. after searching for the suggestion about this topic, now i am thinking for update the firmware of the 2 disk with the SD28, but still i am getting the same lags here.

Re: Never defrag Seagate Momentus XT??

dude, i am thinking that this is totally wrong that you are saying. this is because, every one know that the SSD portion of the hard drive is non user accessible. and this means that your operating system, disk utils can not access that SSD portion of the drive. and also if you are thinking for Defragmenting then i am sure here that Defragmenting the hard drive will not damage it at all. for resolving your problem, have you tried with the contacting the Seagate technical support??

YEs, dude i have also tried with contacting the Seagate technical support, and to them i told about the defrag and the lag spike. after this all, they reply me back as::

You used defragmentation on drives with partial SSD memory on them. SSD memory isn't made to be defragmented. Therefore, the memory functionality is unable to properly work now. The drive will therefore have to be replaced.
    If you have any additional question, please let us know
    what you think after this all?? please suggest me some other way for resolving the problem in my case. thanks in advance.

Yes, dude i also agree here with your problem. i am also having Two issues related with the seagate hard drive which are as::::

• the flash cache portion probably had no clue that you are defragging, so it loaded that data into it to select what to cache
    • now, when it fetches data, rather than getting it from the optimized cache.. it is getting it from the platter much slower and you see it as a lag.

and i think for resolving the problem here is need for a function to tell the flash cache to clear itself. hope that Seagate will release a firmware / software way to clear the cache and start over

friend, thanks for telling me about suggestion. But still i am getting that lags are still here. what can i do now?? i am now thinking for getting the new hard drive for resolving this problem. what you all will say for this??

Ok if you are getting that type of the problem than for that can you reply me back that which defragger are you using???? for doing the same think i have also tried with using the Perfect Disk and this have always performed the best for me. if you are not using this one then try with this, ia m sure that you will not get the problem with this.

For defrag, i use Tuneup Utility . and i install this one after i get the first lag, and for that reason only i am getting no link for that. after using this for the 6-8 months, i was getting that this seems to work very fine. but now, with that also i am getting the same problem and in this case now Tuneup Utility is also not helping me for resolving this problem. someone have tols me that after a defrag, the SSD table can take up to 2 weeks to re-learn anything, for the same reason only, now i taking the help of my comp and see if the situation improve in the next days. now i get one more emails fro, the seagate that they have tols me that SD disk cannot be defragmented. what is that??? can here anyone please help me for resolving this big problem?? and thanks for the above suggestion.

hi all, i am also having the Seagate Momentus XT hard drive and with that also i am having the same problem. and for resolving this when i tried with contacting the seagate support at that time i get that they told me the same thing which had also told to the Mogambo. but stil i am getting the same problem over here, for resolving this, i have also tried with the searching on the other forums but from there also i don't get the suggestion for this. hope that someone here will help me for resolving this problem. thanks for you all.

YEs, i am having HDTune but with that i am not getting the way for doing that, can you please reply me back that what can i do for Erase the hard drive using the HDTune??

Ok, you can do as::
    • in the HDTune, first try to choose your drive and after that go to the Erase and Start.

and also here i would like to say to you that if you are using the drive for 8 months, than at that time this is possible that it is probably more than 1000 power-on-hours. but try with the steps which i have suggested to you and reply me back about the results of that.

Hey ErikaGeek thanks for that step, i tried with that and get that this really helps me for defrag Seagate Momentus XT. now i am getting that all things are working very fine.