Thread: Can 160 gb Seagate ST3160813AS CC2J die after flashing it with firmware for SD2B?

Can 160 gb Seagate ST3160813AS CC2J die after flashing it with firmware for SD2B?

I have by mistakenly flashed 160 gb Seagate ST3160813AS CC2J with firmware for SD2B actually the process has started and I thought that interrupting in between will make the condition worst so I left it like that and it is appearing to be dead but then I am not that sure about the same. So I just wanted to know that is there possibility that my 160 gb Seagate ST3160813AS CC2J die after flashing it with firmware for SD2B? Other thing I wanted to know is possible to get data from it by swapping the board? And can I to load correct LOD via serial console as I am not getting CC2J firmware?. Any help regarding the same will be appreciated.

Re: Can 160 gb Seagate ST3160813AS CC2J die after flashing it with firmware for SD2B?

Yes there are chances that the Seagate ST3160813AS CC2J will be dead,I will like to share that it is not possible to swap the board because as far as I know every port is calibrated for the drive that they have no matter if the drives are of the same model and as far as the CC2J firmware you can just contact the Seagate Support for the same I think that they will definitely help you out. I don’t think that you will be able to repair the hdd by any solution.

Re: Can 160 gb Seagate ST3160813AS CC2J die after flashing it with firmware for SD2B?

I have contacted the Seagate Support and in their response this is what I have got:
    “Thank you for contacting Seagate Technical Support.
    Sorry for the inconvenience as we are unable to provide an old firmware. You can
    go to a data recovery company in order to get the data of that drive.
    Data recovery is not covered under the warranty.”

As far as I know there are 2 places where the firmware is stored. The small portion of the boot firmware is stored in an 8-pin serial flash memory IC which is on the PCB where as the large portion of it is stored in a firmware zone but then it is hidden in the System Area which is on the platters. I will also like to add that the flash memory stores unique and drive specific information. So I think that thinking of transferring firmware from flash memory to the flash memory is of no use and it may result in to other problem as well. You can try to do an experiment with freeware tool (STR-3000) because I have found that it allows you to read the modules but then it won't allow you to write it. If not that then you can try to use the data recovery professionals for hot swapping but then I am really not sure that it will work.

I think that you have suggested him the wrong toll i.e STR-3000, as far as I am aware of it is a commercial tool and it is not a freeware tool and it will cost up to $200, and I have not yet found a demo version of the same. I think that you can try to use the read-only demo version of SeDiv - HDD Seagate Terminal for Windows and that will be a better option.Best of luck.