Thread: Which Cat6 cables and hardware should I use?

Which Cat6 cables and hardware should I use?

Actually I want to replace with the new cables in the home but want your help to know that which cable should I replace with as I’m thinking going with the cat6 cable to be replaced in the walls and loft. if any other high quality cable brands you know which are available in the market I ‘m open to even that also, since I have very less knowledge regarding this. I’m also looking for the hardware so it would be nice if any of you recommend for this also.

Re: Which Cat6 cables and hardware should I use?

Here are some of the cat6 cables name which I think you can go with to have it replaced with your old ones.

• Cat6 Stranded Cable
    • Cat6 Solid Cable
    • Cat6 Solid Cable – Shielded
    • Cat6 Solid Cable – Plenum

I think you should go with the Cat6 Solid core Cable. As it would be best to have it in the walls, while according to me plenum cables are not meant for the walls. Even the stranded cables are not meant for installing in the walls. So it would best that you install the cat5 solid core cable in the walls.

I would like to know which hardware’s will I need to be get installed with the cables as I’m not getting it properly and am confused about it. So I would like to know which hardware would be required to get installed.

According to me the hardware you may require are as follows –

1. QuickPort F-Type Snap-In Connector (for RG6)
    2. Quickport Flushmount Wallplates
    3. QuickPort UTP Copper Connectors (for CAT6a)

As far as I know plenum cables are not meant for the walls and loft. These cables are mostly used in the areas designed for the air circulation as the plenum cables are covered with the plastic and are fire resistant. And if you want to replace with the new cables in your home then I would suggest you that instead of going with the cat6 expensive cables you can replace with some cheap cables as this cable are used mostly in commercial areas where there are enough ventilation for the air and many cables running through, so if incase fire catches the plenum cables with the plastic covering protects the cables from the fire flames.

As you have said that you want the cables for the home. Then I must agree with the guy above that it would be not wise if you try to install the cat6 expensive cables in the house as installing any cats6 cheap cables can also give you good speed. So it is recommended that you should try going with the cheap cables of cat6.

I would like to tell you some of the things which you should not go with:

1) I would say that there is no use of the patch panel as you want it to install it in the home. The only advantage of the patch panel would be that it would looks neat and good but when it signal strength and troubleshooting it becomes complex for such kinda cases.

2) Keep the things simple and don’t try to make more complex as you want to install it for your home and not for the office or any commercial purpose. So don’t try going on with the many brands just see which one would be the best and as far as patch panel are concerned I would say it would be useless installing it

3) And my recommendation would be that you should not try with the patch panel in your home because if you are thinking that it would look neat with this then I think it would be just waste of money for that kinda thing. As you are gonna browse some of the socisl network sites and some work related sites. So from my view you should try to avoid the patch panel.

From my view if you want to protect the cables in the loft then you should try using the PVC pipes with help of some screw and brackets. As in most of the cases people mostly PVC pipes to secure their cables as they are easy to fit and is fixed up more cheaply then the patch panels. As I’m using it in my house and it cost me $5-6 for the 18 feet and 1” holds atleast 8-10 cables. So my advice to you would be that you should try using the PVC pipes rather than the patch panels.

Can anyone provide me, which are the other brands which are good in providing the high quality cables. As I want to install the cables in my office. Your help would be appreciated.