Thread: Dell XPS 17 with Intel 510 SSD gives clicking sound

Dell XPS 17 with Intel 510 SSD gives clicking sound

Hi guys I need help from you on this I have Dell XPS 17 and recently added the Intel 510 SSD of 120 GB on it and instated the windows 7 in it now since then I am have this clicking sound. On that drive sometime though which is not that bother me as long as it is working fine but now it is sometime not booting my pc shows message no OS found and there is nothing that I can do some time restart does works but on start up of the windows it just hang or lagging or some time it would work just fine I have tested the HDD speed and its shows around 405-420 MB/s. I am not sure whether it is normal.

When I bought that HDD I didn't had it formatted and placed it like that should I reformat after that install Windows 7 the entire over thing once more from starting or is it wise that I ghost it using Acronis True Image 2012 in addition to then after doing complete format, I'll restore the ghost on the SSD? Please guys I need help on this I would be really glad to know this thanks

Re: Dell XPS 17 with Intel 510 SSD gives clicking sound

You said that you here sound on the HDD but are you certain about this that only the HDD is giving the sound not the anything else You be able to confirm this with no trouble if you have an outer 2.5 enclosure

I am 100 present positive that the sound is coming from the Intel 510 SSD and I have no idea is it what to do to get rid of this please guys do provide some solution on this I would be glad

I don’t know whether this is going to work or not I have this option

Ensure the SSD is chosen as the 1st in the boot option in the bios.

And the speed look as if okay, the actual speed is usually slower than the rated speed.

Just select the HDD as a primary booting disk

Hope this will work for you

This laptop was working perfectly fine before there was no problem at all in the laptop before this but as soon as I added this HDD the problem occur I can say why and by the way changing the order of booting is also not working I yet this HDD as primary booting device but yet there is no progress

As far as I know that SDD does not contain any parts that could possible makes and sound I think you should remove the HDD out and see if the problem continue you always try switching them around and you are hearing the sound that continuously then I think it would be warning and your HDD is about to crash .it is not possible for your SSD to be produce any kind of noise aside. They are on the whole overvalued flash drives. There is no moving part to create sound

I was also having the ame proble and I have in end with cured with the help of the updating the firmware from DELL though the HDD is from the Seagate, although this firmware was made available by DELL this is only to fix this particular issue in DELL system, I believe all you need to do is download the setup the link to which is you have to click on this []

Yeah I also will recommend that link which slove my problem My HDD was ST9500420AS.and the firmware that is used on following drives are
    Code:
    160G - ST9160412AS DP/N J423T
    250G - ST9250410AS DP/N K556T
    320G - ST9320423AS DP/N F729T
    500G - ST9500420AS DP/N G629T

Hey guys

my L702X also from time to time create these clicking sound. Even me also have an Intel 510 SSD plus a Seagate ST9500423AS 500GB HDD. similar to many other here I might akin to to do this firmware update to fix the setback, however I am not certain, if it won't wipe out my hard drive because to the "incorrect" serial number...is there anyone who can confirm me on this possible as I would really like to tried to update it, it might be of huge appreciation to me , if it worked.

Did you have any progress did you get the core of the issue what it is ? I am also have the similar issue with the Intel 510 120 GB SSD in the first sata slot and the dell give Seagate ST9500420AS in the another slot. in the beginning I considered I had the faulty drive, so to it replace and the dell change it with an the same drive that also had the similar problem. My firmware is also the newest version, so it doesn't look like I have to fixed in that firmware. Now I am having this sound issue clicks as well as beeps so every often, mostly when wake the PC from sleep or starting up. plus ion few cases the drive freezes some sec , I don’t know what to do I really very frustrated please help me on this

Hey guys already been some time now did anyone hear found anything on this does the solution suggested above is working I would actually want to know what you did. I am at the moment using the Intel 510 alone in my computer plus the internal hard drive connected to an external drive bay. It is working however is actually not convenient so pleas guy please tell me did you fixed this