Thread: WD File Management engine is using much of my ram

WD File Management engine is using much of my ram

I have recently found that the WD File Management engine is using much of my ram, I mean because of it the ram usage is 100% almost every time. It is using 2 gb of ram from my 4g of ram and it is jut degrading the performance of the pc as well. The other weird thing I have found is that "svchost.exe” is using all of the hard disk bandwidth simultaneously. So I just wanted to know that is there a solution for the same rather than just stopping the use of the "wd file management engine" process? Any suggestion regarding the same will be appreciated.

Re: WD File Management engine is using much of my ram

I have recently found that the WD File Management engine is using much of my ram, I mean because of it the ram usage is 100% almost every time. It is using 2 gb of ram from my 4g of ram and it is jut degrading the performance of the pc as well. The other weird thing I have found is that "svchost.exe” is using all of the hard disk bandwidth simultaneously. So I just wanted to know that is there a solution for the same rather than just stopping the use of the "wd file management engine" process? Any suggestion regarding the same will be appreciated.
    I have found a no of people having the same problem and some of them have fixed the same by the latest update but then some have mentioned that they are still facing the same problem. So I am not that sure about the same but you can just give it a try. As far as I am aware the latest version currently is v1.5.1.6, just check it out and see if it is making any difference to you or not. Best of luck.

I have tried the same and I really don’t think that it is making much difference even though it has helped a bit but then it is not enough previously it was consuming about 2GB or ram and now after getting the latest v1.5.1.6 it is consuming 1.8 GB and that’s really not making much difference. I am still getting slow performance from my pc. Is there solution that I can try out to limit the usage of the ram or avoid it from using much of my ram? Or are you aware of any other version that I can try out to resolve this? Any further help will be appreciated.

You can try to use a Kiwi application monitor or say a memory manager. It follows the following rules:
    • Exit an application when it finds that the memory load is exceeding a certain level.
    • Exit an application when it finds that the CPU time spends is exceeding a certain time.
    • Exit an application when it starts running for a period of time and so.
    • Shut down the compute after a certain application ends.
    • Run an application when the selected application starts and ends.
    • Alerts when an application starts and ends.
    • An alert when it finds an application memory load is exceeding a certain level and when the CPU times spend is exceeding a certain time.

Hey thanks for that but then I am aware of this basic rule and I have been following the same but then I don’t think that it is making much difference. I really need an effective solution to avoid this or I will just have to uninstall the Smartware/Skynet to get rid of this.

You can just go to the services and then stop the following ones:
    • WD File Management Engine
    • WD File Management Shadow Engine
    • WDDMService

And after that just set it to manual, I have found that by doing this you can free good amount if memory. So if you want then you can try the same and see if it is making any difference to you as well.

You need to have the following requirements in order to update to the latest version and get it work well as well, so just make sure that you are having the same:
    • Windows XP 32-bit Service Pack 3, Windows XP 64-bit Service Pack 2, Windows Vista or Windows 7.
    • Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 or higher installed on your computer.
    • Internet Explorer 7 or higher.

I am aware of this things and I am having the same as well and I have also got the latest version i.e. is v1.5.1.6 and even after having this all the WD File Management engine is using 1.8GB to 2GB or ram. I just wanted to know that is there any newer version that I can try out top resolve this issue??

I am aware of this things and I am having the same as well and I have also got the latest version i.e. is v1.5.1.6 and even after having this all the WD File Management engine is using 1.8GB to 2GB or ram. I just wanted to know that is there any newer version that I can try out top resolve this issue??
    I am not very sure but then I have found on the WD community site that they will be releasing to newer versions but then I have not found them specifying at near date for them. So I think that you will have to wait to get them and they are as followed:
    1.5.3 - This will basically add support to the new products and will also maintain items within it, it is also having a new installer, which will solve the install/uninstall problem.
    1.5.4- This will have a significant back end and that will be related to categorizing files. This will also help in reducing the amount of resources that is used including the ram as well.

I have not yet found a solution for it but then I have come across a alternate for the same and it is Genie Timeline. I have found that it is having almost all the feature of the Smartware but then the problem here is that it is not having the security feature like the smartware. I will try it out and then will let you know. Anyways thanks to you all for sharing their suggestions with me, I really appreciate them.