Thread: Faulty Intel 82579LM NIC in Dell Optiplex 990 desktop PC

Faulty Intel 82579LM NIC in Dell Optiplex 990 desktop PC

My brother has brought me a brand new Optiplex 990 desktop. While looking at its specification i come to know that it contain an integrated Intel 82579LM NIC and this PC is also running with Win 7 Pro 64-bit. Everything works fine but there is still single issue which i could not able to resolve yet. When i open the set-up process and got to my network settings, the icon which is meant for indicating NIC alternates in between "Network cable unplugged" otherwise "Enabled". However in some rare conditions "Identifying". I know that there is nothing wrong with the cable because i have used that network cable with other computer also. What could be the issue? Do you think that the Firewall program causing the problem? i have installed proper driver.

Re: Faulty Intel 82579LM NIC in Dell Optiplex 990 desktop PC

It seems to me that you haven't installed the desktop/notebook system utility along with the chipset drivers first? As far as i know that these things are not installed previously then the other drivers will fail to install. first of all you need to make sure that Download and Install Drivers in the proper Order otherwise you could end up with like this issue. The next thing you need to check in the BIOS. Check whether the network adapter is enabled in BIOS or not. Next. Do you need any kind of yellow exclamation mark in device manager under the network category.

There are several thing i have tried so far in order to resovle the issue:
    • So far i have tried several different cables on different but everytime same result.
    • I have then made a secure erase of the drive and freshly installed the OS along with all the drivers off the recovery media, still there is no change in result.
    • I have also tried different drivers from the Dell support site, no use
    • Also installed the "generic" Intel driver, no change.

The drivers are specifically Dell then you are looking for "Support" and then put my Dell particular day.
    • Enter the Serial number of the Optiplex 990 and select Device Network.
    • Download and then update your equipment by reinstalling it.

After a lot of tests and a few discussions with the Dell Support Team, Dell finally found the reason for this issue:

The Intel Gigabit Ethernet controller supports a feature called EEE (Energy Efficient Ethernet). It looks like Intel's specifications of this feature differs from the specifications of the Dell PowerConnect 55xx series. So, to successfully hook up this to our LAN NIC just we need to disable the feature using the EEE Device Manager:

Yes i also think that you didn't install the important and much needed desktop/notebook system utility and the chipset drivers, for your Dell desktop PC.

You need to install them first and check yourself. The whole thing is now should start working. This utility and driver contain all the drivers that is mandatory for your computer, like USB ports, wireless adapters, webcams, etc. i am not telling that it will contain all the drivers but it contain some important drivers which is enough to run the system properly at the first time.

There is an easy way around in order to resovle your problem. I think that you have already tried all the things which have mentioned in earilier posts. But sometime this couldnt help out. For this the best way is Factory Settings which might be quicker. I heard that it puts entrie system back to the proper conditions, unless it is corrupt or removed. what do you say?

First of all you have updated the drivers for your network card?

In addition you have another computer at home? or the ability to test the connection with another PC maybe a friend?

you have installed the ADSL filters on home phones? Try disconnecting all phones leaving only the modem attached

Just install the latest service pack more 'various updates that are suggested by your windows.

I managed to solve the problem that I could not load some pages, the problem was the anti-spyware "Malwarebyte's" not enough turn it off but I had to uninstall to solve. Now everything seems ok, except in the online gaming within inside the server (when I can), once I entered the connection symbol appears disturbed or whatever and I can not do anything, I tried everything, drivers, ports in the firewall , the router, I even changed firewall, I do not know what it is, it's driving me crazy, I think tomorrow I buy a new ethernet card, I hope it will gonna solve the problem so that i can no longer tear my head with this faulty network adapter.

Me too dont think that it is a driver issue but it obviously seems like a defective hardware or cable or something like that, who knows. Anyway if you can workout with another network card, then it is good for you. on the other hand you know that the wireless network is not managed by Windows. The connection must be managed by Windows to the problem with the wireless connection to be determined. Use another application to the problems with the wireless network to solve if you have a non-Microsoft application used to manage wireless networks.