Thread: Unable to upgrade BIOS on Dell Optiplex 980

Unable to upgrade BIOS on Dell Optiplex 980

I buy this Dell Optiplex 980 desktop pc in last month and now I want to upgrade bios of this system. Currently it contains A01 version and I want to upgrade it to A02 version. if I try to do this task, it gives error message. Message describe that "Could not find the firmware image in memory". I need to fix this issue in any way. Any help to fix this upgrade issue might be helpful for me. System specification is being as follows:
    • Processor: Intel Core i5 i5-650 / 3.2 GHz
    • RAM: 8 GB DDR3 SDRAM - Non-ECC
    • HDD: 320.0 GB - Standard - Serial ATA-300
    • BIOS: A01
    • Intel Q57 Express Chipset

Re: Unable to upgrade BIOS on Dell Optiplex 980

The file O980-A04.EXE is using the Universal format and is designed to be directly executed from Windows environment. You need to download this file and then run it onto your dell system. This will be work to fix your upgrade bios problem. This file work on Windows/ DOS based system.

The file O980-A04.EXE is helpful to perform the Universal upgrade task onto it. after downloading this file, you need to save it onto the storage device by clicking Save button. Then progress meter moves as the download is completed. After this task, run downloaded file onto your dell system. This will be work to fix upgrade task. Keep in mind that at the time of upgrading this system bios log on as administrator.

Similar problem arrives onto this dell Optiplex 980 desktop pc. When I try to do this upgrade task on my system, it gives same problem and reboots system. During reboot the computer turns off long enough that it dumps what it saved in memory and wont upgrade. Then I start system in safe mode and apply same process onto it. This will be work to fix your problem.

Same problem arrives on my dell computers. I installed the latest BIOS Version (A05) but it doesn’t work on my dell desktop pc. Hence I visit official site of this dell and download correct version of this bios. This will be helping me and in response it fixes my issue. You can also do this task and check what result arrives onto it.

Right click on the BIOS executable file then select run as administrator. That should allow the BIOS to update successfully. If it not work, then try to run this file onto safe mode. Safe mode most of the time makes an positive impact and in response you got your wanted bios upgrade task on this system. Hence try these two things and check what result arrives onto it. I hope that the safe mode will work to fix your complicated upgrade bios task onto this dell system.