Thread: Dell Studio XPS 9100 Power Button Blinking Amber

Dell Studio XPS 9100 Power Button Blinking Amber

I just received my latest dell Studio XPS 9100. All seems to be working as well as I can tell, except for my power switch light flashes amber. Though, the manual Dell says that flashing amber light may be a difficulty with the motherboard. I called Dell technical support. The guy was very well, but I could not understand. He said that because there was not anything wrong with the team that all was well. He said talking to the motherboard power switch until it was lost. What if the whole thing was working else that amber flashing, looking a small yellow to me, the light was not a trouble at all. Do not believe in getting a fresh part of a latest computer. I rather return previous to the period of 21 days and obtain a new computer. If the technician is at the time I would keep it. But one thing does not seem correct. Please someone out there tell me what to do or what you think. Has anyone else had this difficulty and support told him what I said? Does anybody out there have this difficulty and nothing to worry about?

Re: Dell Studio XPS 9100 Power Button Blinking Amber

I am not even going to try to reach something close to a technical answer. That said, I had some problems with my system at first. I had the heat sink on the CPU / fan replaced. The same goes for the keyboard, mouse and TV card. My thought was that "better the devil you know ........." I think we all agree that the amount of money we're spending the system must work absolutely out of the box! However, it is not always the case. This is not just a "Dell problem" - I have been on HP's site several times and if there is any difference between the two HP is even worse.

One of the things you said that the system is working well. All except the "amber" light switch. I think it must be white when lit. It could be a few things, 1 - From the factory wiring installation has not been established according to specifications. 2 - The technology in place should be called and have inspected the front panel wiring. By the way, you can restart the computer and restart hit the "F12" and run the PSA test, mem test, and then Diags Dell. If this happens it is likely that it is not hardware, but a faulty cable connection or as I said. The front panel cover must also be controlled, or at least I would ask to have a tech come out and take a look at it. Expect this help out.

I made sure to review each suggested solution to Dell technicians wanted. (Even when I was absolutely, definitely positive that they had no idea what they were doing!) I went through several remote sessions in vain. I saved every chat and email, just in case. Technicians have a script to follow, so I went on the ride. In the end, Dell will send a technician on site with new parts and now I'm finally happy.
    His flashing amber light energy is not normal. As to whether it is a serious problem or just a freaky light - I have no idea. I would insist that one way or another Dell take care of the issue and any other you may have. In my opinion there is nothing that should be ignored or glossed over with a new computer system! We pay the best price for first-class hardware. Fair enough. Ask Dell to live up to their part of the deal. Of course, ultimately it is your hard earned money and your choice. Please let us know how things turn out.

One thing you can do with the PC off, open the case and check the wiring. It may be a connector is loose and is not fully seated and the cause of the problem. Check all connectors and put pressure on them to ensure they are fully and correctly seated. It could be a loose or partially connected due to shipping, which happens from time to time. If not and you are not satisfied, call Dell and ask for authorization to return as soon as possible and tell them not working properly and support will not help. In many cases, offered to replace the system so you do not have to issue a refund. If you just call and say they do not want, they will charge a "restocking fee".

First let me say how sorry for not returning to this post possible. After finding the problem that I feel relaxed. But I've been sent back to help someone else who might have had or have the same problem. From reading the manual at XPS 9100 and the technician told me I had an idea of what might be causing the problem. I had a 16 foot USB extension cable connected to an active USB port. I had connected to a USB hub. I connected three wireless mouse and keyboard on the USB HUB. 1 mouse and keyboard where a combination unit. There were other 16-meter active USB extension cables connected and running on my old printer. This printer had a cable that made the old parallel printer work with a USB port. So what I did was pick up all the plugs and all that with a USB cable to a USB connection. I did that for all my stuff that I use with your computer. I have a new printer, since it did not work well and does not print very well anyway. After this team worked to perfection

After many, many hours spent with Dell technical support, troubleshooting did on my own and came up with this: I get disconnected all the cables from my box and just had my wired keyboard and mouse connected to a Dell monitor built into a USB hub that I connected to a USB port (either) in the back of the box. This created a light flashes, no matter what USB port again I used. After unplugging the USB cable port and ports are used up (next to the headphone jack), which generated a solid white power. This result was the same no matter what other peripherals are plugged After telling Dell Support about this, finally told me that a piece of useful information. It seems that the back USB ports have a low energy level and the top and front USB ports are powered completely. So, if you use a device that draws power and use the back USB port, the device connection will not be recognized by the team at the start and the computer will respond with a flashing amber light to tell you that something is wrong with a device. So now we have to have certain devices and hubs in the front or top USB port power (especially some external USB hard drives and many other USB devices connected by long cables that can generate power loss). However, you can still use the back ports with some of these devices if you do not mind flashing and function. Please let me know if you all agree with this result and have the same solutions.

I have two days old Studio XPS 9100 also had the power button blinks amber and realized that the fan was running almost constantly and sounded very strong. The problem is no doubt with the rear USB ports. Once moved my devices to the ports on the top front, the light is not flashing and the fan runs less often and seems much calmer. My wireless mouse and keyboard connected to my monitor USB ports that need to be connected with a cable to the computer. So now I have plugged into the top USB ports and try to maintain a single USB cable from my devices to the rear USB ports. Everything seems working properly and the fan noise problem is resolved. I was about to return the equipment, as the fan was as loud as a vacuum cleaner.

I looked at this problem because I required adding that may be responsive to the sequence on the monitor / scanner and CPU. I had left the scanner accidentally when I turn off the night monitor / scanner and CPU and I spent this morning I turned on the monitor / scanner first and then the CPU and I think I had been doing the overturn. I have blue-white light. Frankly, I have the time to contact Dell support, for the reason that I doubt they have this in your scripts and I will spend hours going round and round on it. Yes, the system is still under warranty, but do not think it's a hardware issues, and that never happens with the scanner. I can observe the finger pointing between
    1. Computer service
    2. Monitor (USB hub) service
    3. Scanner Service
    Therefore, I am posting here if anyone has this setup will not have to eliminate things one at a time and know that someone else has noticed.