Thread: unable to see files on Lacie 4big Quadra in Mac OS X Lion

unable to see files on Lacie 4big Quadra in Mac OS X Lion

After verifying a partition on my LaCie 4big Quadra, Finder does not observe the files in the partition and is a wheel on the bottom right of the search for the status bar. This did not happen before OS X Lion. If the session and log back in everything works as expected again. I tried this for each partition and behave the same time. The other thing that worked to remove all partitions and mount each partition manually using Disk Utility.

re: unable to see files on Lacie 4big Quadra in Mac OS X Lion

Are you running the verification of your internal drive or boot from a disk volume? Try to repair permissions on the volume, and then run to check and see.

Also, make sure you receive the information (Command + I) on the volume that "Ignore ownership on this volume" is not checked.

Repair Disk ends in the same situation. Finder seems that Lion has troubles with the disks that have been disassembled and reassembled.

If the disk repair does not occur when running on your internal drive volume recovery (command started R) is something really bad in the directory or disk. Have you turned off and disconnected the disk?

Quote Originally Posted by The Picture View Post
    If the disk repair does not occur when running on your internal drive volume recovery (command started R) is something really bad in the directory or disk. Have you turned off and disconnected the disk?
    Repair Disk completes very well. Thus Check Disk and Repair Disk drive removed both and re-mounted after its completion. The dismantling and reassembly is what appears to be the cause of the trouble.

"Check" does not take away the disc. It's there for you to check the status of the volume while you are working on it. A volume in use cannot be removed. Therefore, if it occurs after checking, we are dealing with something else.

You might be able to repair with 10.7.2 Combo Update This is a full install rather than an incremental "delta" update so it be supposed to overwrite the files that are damaged or not. No matter if you have to apply before.

Check disk using Disk Utility on an external hard drive that is not the boot drive now seems to disassemble the unit. Follow these steps:
    1. Using Finder, select an external drive that is not the present boot drive.
    2. Open Disk Utility and select the identical external drive selected in Finder.
    3. Click Verify Disk. In doing so the Finder window disappears.
    4. Once verification is absolute, the unit will be accessible in the Finder.

Just to attempt another approach, one that reproduces the problem once they made a "Force Quit" from the Finder. Finder will restart everything was back to normal

The reason I regularly run Verify Disk is that my Time Machine partition was corrupted a while and this allows me to determine when / if it ever occurs again.

Also I have an open ticket with LaCie, because my last LaCie 4big Quadra fan had troubles and they sent me a replacement unit. I cannot determine if this behavior started after Lion and after receiving my replacement LaCie. This is very irritating because I do not have 6 TB of disk storage unreliable.

It is not "inappropriate", just redundant. If you run disk repair and there is nothing to do nothing and report "The disc appears to be OK," the same as Check Disk. But if needs repair, repair it .

Re: unable to see files on Lacie 4big Quadra in Mac OS X Lion

I tried the following and restarted before each test.
    1. Delete the Finder preferences and then restart, produced the same behavior.
    2. Verify Disk from another account, the same behavior.
    3. Off to share, the same behavior.