Thread: Think I killed my hard drive help :(

Think I killed my hard drive help :(

I know this is really laughable but here goes. I recently build a pc myself with no prior experience and all went well and works great but the psu only came with one power lead to fit into my hard drive and not one for my DVD drive as it takes the same power lead (not meaning the sata cable). Anyway I didn't need a DVD drive and forgot all about it and enjoyed my new pc. I went and bought battlefield 3 for pc tonight and when I got home I realised I can't connect my cd drive! So I rang a friend to see if he had any adapters and he told me all different things didn't make much sense to me but I found a connecter from my psu that was not being used and It has a funny shape to it with 4 small pin holes and 4 indents on the top and it fit snugly into my hard drive which has 8 pins on it, aswell as a sata and sata-shaped power connection. I thought It would feed power to it so I could then hook up my cd drive with the only power cord I got. I turned my
    Pc on and the hard drive is not being found and makes no noise! So now I think it's dead? It's not being found on the bios even though it's set up exactly to when it was working. The power cord starts up my cd drive fine so it must be the hard drive have I fried it but giving direct power into something I shouldn't have? And what the hell is that weird socket for on the back of my hard drive? My hard drive is a wd5000aaks. Thank you so much for reading!!

Re: Think I killed my hard drive help :(

Is this a Sata hard drive or IDe hard drive? First of all disconnect/unplug your cd/dvd drive and use the same wire to connect the hard drive and see if its working or not. If it doesnt then try to connect it to some other pc and check the results. If still no go, then you must have killed the hard drive for sure. Also can you post a pic of the 4 small pin holes? I assume it is used for connecting cpu fans.

Thanks for your reply. I have tried the hard drive in another pc and still no noise. Is there any repair I can do by taking it apart? If not my only option is to buy a new hard drive and OS. Windows 7 and the same data drive is going to cost over 100 easy. Is there a cheaper option?

Quote Originally Posted by Apd100 View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I have tried the hard drive in another pc and still no noise. Is there any repair I can do by taking it apart? If not my only option is to buy a new hard drive and OS. Windows 7 and the same data drive is going to cost over 100 easy. Is there a cheaper option?
    I think ur hard drive is dead, buy new one....
    Buy from ebay it wil be cheaper
    Last edited by darksiderg; 29-10-2011 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Missed something

If this is not working with other system then it is sure that the hard drive is dead. There is no option for you other than buying a new hard drive.