Thread: Maxtor one touch 4 mini: unable to recognize USB device

Maxtor one touch 4 mini: unable to recognize USB device

Hell all friends, I have recently bought the new Maxtor one touch 4 mini external hard drive of 120 GB. And after this, I first connected it to my pc, installed the software which was present on the drive, it worked fine. And after that I connect the drive, An error was displayed and that was USB device Not Recognized- one of the usb devices has malty functioned. And when I get this error then I also tried to connect it to another port, reinstall USB driver, enable-disable, Bios update, but that was no good, except it worked fine on my Laptop which is running on the windows XP. For being resolve, this problem I have also tried with formatting the C and re-installed windows, but still get the same problem. Can anyone help me in this cause?

Re: Maxtor one touch 4 mini: unable to recognize USB device

Here in your cause, I cn say that you have already tried very nicely, but still you cant resolve this problem then I say here that you will need to get the new USB PCI card and then connect using that card. I am not sure that this will works or not, but to get resolve your problem here you will need to do that also.

If you want to resolve your problem then I think that you will need to do the following steps:
    • Download the software installer and save it on your computer within the download, you will then find a USB driver folder containing 14 files
    • Copy these files to the Maxtor portable hard drive to replace the identical 14 files already contained on it.

Hey really it worked for me. I suppose that one or more of the files had turned into corrupted. While trying with all the suggestion I see that USB drivers are not installed on the C drive as part of the Maxtor software, so the Maxtor drive most probably uses the on-board drivers.

Exactly the same problem I am also having with the Maxtor mini. For resoloving this I have also contacted customer support on numerous occasions and their reply is to return the HDD to the place of buy for an exchange. Sorry to say that, because it really worked for two days I put a entire bunch of music files and photos on the disc. In this HDD I am having some of my family photos and for that reason I am a bit indisposed to return. Have you any suggestion in this cause? I have tried using the HDD on a number of special computers as well as laptops and desktops and all are having the same results. It seems like an issue with the mini drive itself but I am not a computer whizz so not sure. Any suggestion apart from throw the drive in the rubbish bin would be great.

As I can say here that you are having this problem with five divide computers, but what I was suggesting was replacing the USB driver files on the mini drive itself.

Friends thanks for suggestion. sorry to say, because the drive still not recognized after following your suggestion. Still I cant access the drive to replace the drivers. Maybe I am missing something here but with my limited, but not too basic knowledge of the computers, and for that reason only I can’t find the i can't find a way of accessing the disc without pulling it out of it's casing. And if I tried with the reinstalling the drivers through the device manager at that time it fails to find the driver even if i direct it to the drivers located on my PC hard drive.

I will suggest that it depends on being able to access the external drive on another computer. Here in my cause the drive worked ok with a laptop. I can only propose that you try it with a computer running Windows Vista, like my laptop, if you haven't already done so.

I was just about to bust it open and see about a new hard drive enclosure, when I decided to try a different USB cable. I had always been using the "Dual Plugged" usb cable that came with it, I had a single plu cable I use for my MP3 player laying around. Plugged it in and VIOLA it works now. I wonder how many others out there could be having the same issue due to a bad cable.

Now, I can also say here that I am having the big problem related with the Maxtor one touch 4 mini after the few days. And the problem is as my laptop recognize my external hard disk. For resolving that I have tried with different computers and cables It does not work as well. It happened two days before only, it was working well before. Any idea please advises me. I have so much data inside.

After searching on the so many of the forums I came to know that my problem is the same with your. So can you please tell me that Have you fixed it? Please share with me if you can fix it. I am trying my best too.

No friend, still I have not fixed this problem. I have also followed all the suggestion which is here but after following that I can say that they all are not working for me. But here if you also facing this problem then I will also say you to try with this all suggestion. This may happens that they all will work in your cause.