Thread: Videos Stored from Mac to Seagate GoFlex external HDD not recognized in PC

Videos Stored from Mac to Seagate GoFlex external HDD not recognized in PC

I have bought the Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 2TB drive for the intention of storing videos within .mov format (from iMovie on top of a Mac) Wish for to be capable to sight these on either a computer otherwise a Mac. I have formatted the Drive on mac and used iMovie to save some video clips and they are playing fine on Mac. Now when I connect the same HDD to the computer it doesn't appear to distinguish. While I go into My computer>Manage>Device Manager>Disks, I can see the disk. What I am missing here?

Re: Videos Stored from Mac to Seagate GoFlex external HDD not recognized in PC

Use Disk Utility in the Utilities folder of the application file to initialize it in HFS +. It will be booted in Mac (not readable under Windows because Microsoft obviously cares little for other formats). Stick with FAT32 is. Unfortunately, you can reformat the hard disk only NTFS or exFAT. Have a precaution even started to copy everything from disk on your PC.

The native format Mac OS (HFS) does not play by default on Windows. The native format windows (NTFS) is read by default on Mac OS but not written. The old FAT32 (MS DOS Mac OS) is read and written by the two but does not support files larger than 4 GB. Several solutions are available to you:
    • Either you install the drivers bootcamp on your pc, and windows will then read the HFS.
    • Or you install software such as NTFS 3G (free) or Paragon NTFS for Mac on your Mac and then he will read and write NTFS
    • Or you do not need more than 4GB per file and you format your FAT32 disk
    • Either you make multiple partitions on your external drive (one HFS, one NTFS, etc.). And you juggle between each system.

I have the same trouble with my other FreeAgent Go 640 GB which starts over regardless of which Windows OS but it works on Mac - and this since early October. If that was previously run with the other and if Naves is accommodating enough.

It is probably formatted in the Mac's own format, Windows cannot read it. Either you ask your colleagues to reformat to FAT32, which can use both OS, or you install a tool that enables Windows to read Mac format

If you've formatted the drive using NTFS (which I expect times) you post them on Mac OS X first reading only. To write to it you have to format it either completely or re-create a second partition or create a FAT32 partition under Windows, with both operating systems can do something. If you use it for video, the ideal is only one partition and Go Clear time to time. If data is for a pair is enough, most of all because if one gets corrupted, then the disk fails no matter the number of partitions. In my case I want to partition it to keep OSX on a partition and the other data in FAT32 for PC's.

You need to download a program like MacDrive 6 to read and write Mac-formatted HD from Windows.

Of course, but you cannot create (or do it wrong) one PC and one Mac partition. When you tell what type of partition you want to Disk Utility, you give the option to table PC or Apple, only one of the two PC and PC formats will allow you and Apple formats with your APPLE tell me how I create two partitions formatted as an HFS + and one FAT32.