Thread: Is it Safe to Turn on Power Supply Unit with Nothing Plugged In?

Is it Safe to Turn on Power Supply Unit with Nothing Plugged In?

Hello friends, as I am using computer and I want to test the Power Supply Unit (PSU) of the computer, as I want to check the working of the power supply unit as I am using a Corsair HX850W PSU. But I am only one computer and do not have spare computer to test the power supply unit. The main aim of the testing is that I want to test that it powers up or not, so if it do then I can simply plug it with a kettle lead, if I do it then does it will cause any damage to the computer? So please give me your suggestion and tell me that I can do it or not. Thank you.

Re: Is it Safe to Turn on Power Supply Unit with Nothing Plugged In?

I want to tell you that you would not be able to power the PSU unless and until it is been connected to a motherboard of the computer or if you have are having the PSU tester. You should connect to either of them and try to do the testing of the PSU.

I want to say something related to the PSU, as when you plug PSU into the main switch, then it charges a little bit, and also it is enough to allow it to feel when it is been switch on the motherboard of the computer. Well there is possible way to 'trick' the PSU to think that it has been switched on to the motherboard of the computer, but running the PSU without any load can also be damage and you have to bring a newer one for the computer. You can do it until and unless you have a second option to do it and also a back-up to try the testing of the PSU. Hope the suggestion might help you to think before you try to do the testing of the PSU.

Well I also recommend as the above user has advice you to do. So you must not take a chance in doing the testing of the PSU. If you want to do testing then arrange a PC from friends and tested it. Sure about that this will do the job for you.

You can try it by getting a paper clip and make a connection between the green and black wire directly next to it, and also put some of the electrical tape over the end of the wire and the PSU should also be power up. If you try this trick then it let it to think that it is connected to the motherboard of the computer. But you do not leave the kettle cable plugged in while you doing this trick for the PSU. Well I have also used this same theory when I was making testing of the PSU, as I have taken out the PSU covering and clip the black and green wires for about an inch in length, then I have solder them together and add some shrivel tubing to it. You can also try as I have tried and I think it might help you to test the PSU.

You can get the method on the internet, as there are many of the users who have tried this and have share the trick on the internet, so you should try search over there.

Well there is no problem to trying doing the above user methods in order to test your PSU. As the above user has told you that you can easily use a paperclip to "trick" it into turning on such that it will make think the PSU that it is connected to the motherboard of the computer. Well I am also having one more option which you can try and see that it can help you or not. The other option is that you get an old female ATX connector, and wired it up to switch to it on the same pins of the PSU, as you are done doing it then you can easily turn it on or off at your own wish, you can say as it the "ghetto PSU tester" or you can give your name as the PSU testing method. As I have done one of these methods at my workplace and it has worked fantastic for me, so that is the reason I have recommended you to do it. Hope the suggestion is able to do the testing of the PSU.

You can search on the internet and then you will be able to get some of the method which will be really helpful and also will give you some of the method to do the testing of the PSU.

I think you will be able to get some sort of the software for doing it, for that you should check the internet and get some of the software’s for yourself and get it done. There might be lot of the software’s which are been able to test the PSU of the computer and also you will be able to test the PSU of the computer. But I do not know that if you do it manually / practically which out plugging it to the motherboard will work or not for you. I have never tried and also I have never thought to do such kind of the experiment on the computer, as I love my computer and do not want to get it spoiled by doing any kind of the experiment on the computer. So you can search on the internet and get it done for you.

I think you should not try it doing it, as you spoil the PSU of the computer, and also you will be not able to on the computer to do the work on it, so it is better and also safe to test by the PSU tester, which you get in the market.

bobdavis118 Guest

Can't you just use a multimeter? Or power supply tester? Whatever you do when testing your psu manually would not be considered "safe" but as long as you are "safe" about it you'll be ok.

I also think that you should try to do it by the PSU tester which you get in the market, as if you try doing it then you might not be able to get and also you might get some of the problem, such the PSU not work and also some of the electric issue which you get with the electronic appliances, so it is better and also the safe to use the PSU tester for the testing of the PSU of the computer. So please check and do it as you wish to do it. Hope the suggestion might help you and get it.