Thread: External drive occasionally disappears from HP computer

External drive occasionally disappears from HP computer

External drive infrequently disappears from HP PC. I've had this trouble for a short time, except here goes. I encompass an HP PC some years elder. I have 2 optical drives on it single internal as well as single USB external. For a few reasons the external drive occasionally disappears from the PC. I can't come across it anyplace afterward some days afterward it pops back up. I have attempted replacing the cables and verified to power and at rest the trouble continues. Is there any fix for this?

Re: External drive occasionally disappears from HP computer

Have you tried a different USB port, or power supply? (Note correct voltage (V) and amperage (A)). I understand that one of the repairs has not been completed successfully and this could mean that if the disk does not repair as it should, then there is a problem. In your place I would save the contents and start from scratch initialization.

It may happen that you have a problem with the internal connections, and that although BIOS recognizes it, for the same heat as you say, you find some broken links, or even the lens is broken. The same thing happened to me on a WinXP or so ago 4 years, and I could fix it by changing the drive, because the connections were damaged.

An external hard drive is not a Windows system or no longer recognized. Although the sounds connected and disconnected the device, the typical windows "Ding Dong" signal, not attached drive is displayed. Detected solely the chip itself, but another data flow does not come from the hard disk to the PC through the chip.

I had recently run up an external 120GB hard drive running Windows XP. Recently, I have to following problem:
    When I connect the drive to any USB port I get the message "USB mass storage device found" and the Disk Management in Computer Management recognizes the drives. But that was about it! The Device Manager does not contain any signs of failure of the USB ports. On an identical laptop's hard drive works as before, after enabling all the drives appears in Explorer - you can access the individual partitions flawlessly.

This is a USB power problem is probably the hub, but also a software-defined problem. Take (after having tested it without a hub) a (temporary) test account and test if it happens again, if not then it is corrupted preferences, as well as booting into Safe Mode (using shift withheld) and testing again fixes the problem then the damaged system, and it is best to do a clean install (or get back up!).

Control Panel-Administration-Computer Management-Disk Management here, the partition must be displayed (blue highlight), right click on the mark awarded and a drive letter. If that is not (is black) format and repartition the disk and follow the instructions on the screen. Other possibility, check with TestDisk (freeware).

The equipment can be switched on during the quiet:
    • USB plug cap and wait until the Windows signal ("Ding Dong") sounds. The Windows system has now registered that a device has been completed.
    • Only then connect the device again with a different USB port.

If during operation the drive should no longer be detected, this can sometimes be due to an overburdened chipset. A restart of the computer is turned on with hard drive can solve the problem already. This should not lead to success, then boot up with either once turned off the computer hard drive. Turn power on only when Windows is booted up completely, including all applications.

Seems to me to be a loose connection! Can you open the hard drive and check if the IDE or SATA cable is connected appropriately, so the hard drive of your connections to the housing? Or the USB port has a loose connection! I would now think of anything else when it's 6USB ports and the same with your friend. Is then clearly on the hard drive! If everything does not help => exchange or return.

Normally, almost all external hard drives detected by Windows XP SP2 and can therefore be operated with the Windows drivers. It is rather rare and unusual, but sometimes the manufacturer's drivers can remedy the situation, because there are more devices than Windows versions on the market of homemade drivers can provide.
    The original manufacturer drivers are usually in the form of a CD or on the devices they will, with luck, to the manufacturer's website. If the hard drive is not recognized from the outset, could partitioning may be necessary. Keep in mind that there is no guarantee of functionality, completeness and correctness of it in any case. Neither is any liability for any damage caused. By flashing or reset the chip also goes off even any guarantee.