Thread: Which one should I buy: Western Digital or Seagate Goflex 1TB external HDD?

Which one should I buy: Western Digital or Seagate Goflex 1TB external HDD?

I have a computer and I am planning to purchase external hard drive of 1 TB capacity. I have searched a lot and I am confused. I still don’t know which one I should buy. I have searched a lot the google regarding this but still I am not able to decide. I want store more data so I think 1 tb would be sufficient for me. Currently I have two hdd’s in my mind.
    They are:

• WD My Passport Essential SE 1TB USB3
    • Seagate Freeagent Goflex UltraPortable 1TB USB3

I would like know which one would have better performance? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Re: Which one should I buy: Western Digital or Seagate Goflex 1TB external HDD?

Actually I would not suggest you to go for the usb 3.0. I did not find it much different. I had usb 3 but I decided to go back for the usb. i would say that first you test the drive you want to buy and then buy it. Recently I have bought Seagate hdd. Let me tell you that I didn’t have a good experience after purchasing it. I think that it is garbage. I would suggest you to read the reviews and you will that find most of them are negative. I contacted Seagate's technical support and they want me to pay for a download to recover my data. I personally would never ever recommend this product or this company

I have read and found out that the usb 3 offers speeds of about 110 mbps which is considerably high than usb 2's speed of about 30 mbps max. My desktop has usb 3 port but my laptop doesn’t. This is the reason why I am looking for usb 3. Anyways I am going to read dell conversations now hope it will help me reach a decision.

I would suggest that if you want to choose between the two then you should go for the western digital one. Western digital will cost you around $80 if you purchase it from amazon. You can purchase it online buy visiting amazon website. You may find few discount offers on the hard drive also. I had recently bought a 1 tb wd hard disk from amazon and they delivered me the hdd within 15 days of booking.

I have a wd hdd. So I would recommend you to go for this one. It is working absolutely fine and also looks great. Below I have mentioned few technical details:
    • Dual USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 compatibility
    • Connectivity today; speed for tomorrow
    • Up to 3x faster transfer rates with USB 3.0
    • Maximum capacity
    • Automatic, continuous backup
    • Hardware encryption, password protection

I would say that Western Digital one is a nice supplemental and has nice portable storage. But let me tell you that there is no user guide available with it except a warranty guide. There is no product description of product or software function. I am myself planning to buy a Seagate Goflex 1TB external HDD.

Well both the hdd’s will cost you almost same. As I think both comes in around 79 dollars. But I would say that go for the Seagate GoFlex ultra-portable drive. You get encryption software pre-loaded on drive. Then there is NTFS driver for Mac which is also pre-loaded on drive. There is GoFlex USB 2.0 interface adapter, 18-inch USB 2.0 cable, quick start guide. most importantly you get a 2 years limited warranty. Below I have mentioned few technical details of this hdd.
    • Store or back up photos, movies, music and documents
    • Carry files with you while on-the-go
    • Access your files with both PC and Mac computers
    • USB 2.0 plug-and-play
    • Optional FireWire 800 or powered eSATA or access content over the network and on TV

Well let me tell you that Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex has the highest capacity. It can date among single volume external storage devices in the market. It has a very flexible design. It also has a lot of features and connections. Performance wise it is very good and far better than western digital hdd. The installation process is very easy and it runs very quietly. I am not sure but might have to pay some extra amount to buy this one instead of western digital hdd.

Well I would say that if you want a fast and large drive then don’t worry about the output. I think western digital 1tb hdd should be on your top of list. It is the fastest external hdd so far I know.