Thread: Speakers not working in Windows 7

Speakers not working in Windows 7

I recently bought some speakers, however I cannot get them to work with my Windows 7 PC. They connect through USB and a jack. I know they work, because when I connected them to my PC with the USB and then plugged the jack into my iPhone and played some music, it was fine. However, when I plug them into the audio out jack on my PC, no sound comes out. My computer seems to actually have two audio out jacks - one with a headphones symbol, and one with a music note and an arrow pointing away. However, I've tried all the jacks on my computer, with no results.

I've read some other things which mention setting the speakers as the default device through the Control Panel and changing the properties, however this is not possible for me as the computer does not even pick up that the speakers exist at all. The only device that comes up under audio devices is "SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio", which never worked either.

Before this I've been using some USB headphones, and they worked just fine - I just had to plug them in and voila.

Some help with this would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance for anyone who helps me out.

Re: Speakers not working in Windows 7

What is the make or model of the speakers that you have? Also once you disconnect your headphones and then after that connect the speakers in the jack (green jack behind the cpu, where i usually connect the speakers wire), dont you get any prompt or a popup to make speakers connected to your computer or something like it (i always get it when i switch connection between speakers and headphones). After this I go into audio setting and choose speaker as default and voila the speaker sound starts working.

They're Tenzi (TZ-807). The problem, I think, is simply that the computer doesn't seem to notice when I plug them in. When I plug in my USB heaphones, a dialog comes up, but when I plug in the speakers, nothing.

As said in the previous post, uninstall and reinstall the SoundMAX audio drivers and once it is done, try to plug in the speakers in the green jack which might be behind the cpu. After choosing the appropriate type of speakers (whether 2.1 speaker or 5.1 speaker), go to volume and right click on it and choose the option of plug and play something and make the speaker as the default sound.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the soundMAX audio driver, like you said, and plugged the speakers into the green jack behind the computer. How do I choose the type of speakers or select plug and play? Now, when I play some music and turn all the volume settings up to the very top, I can only just about hear it playing from the speakers (if I hold it up to my ear). It's incredibly quiet, and muffled behind lots of buzzing.

Can you confirm whether the speaker jacks plugged in completely and in the right hole(s)? Can you try using another speaker set to check whether it is a problem with the speaker itself or not or maybe it could be a the speakers wire issues as well that you have connected. Speaker buzzing can also be caused by a bad ground or bad shielding from AC RF interference.

It's plugged in the green jack at the back, and it's definitely in fully. I'm afraid I don't have any other speakers, I've just been relying on the USB headphones. I'm pretty sure it's not the speakers, though, because like I said in my first post, they work fine when I plug them into my iPhone.

AC RF interference?

I'm still not convinced the computer is noticing the speakers, because they don't come up under my audio devices.

EDIT: Okay, I grabbed my iPhone earphones (which work fine) and plugged them into the green jack, and they're not playing any music either, which means it's definitely to do with the computer.
    Last edited by iwimo; 10-09-2011 at 10:55 PM.

There are some tools that can help you to test your sound settings. Before this go in bios and select load optimal settings. Some bios have option to disable onboard audio. So just have a look. Passmark sound check is an tool that can verify that the sound hardware on your pc is working or not. You can download and check the same. If your motherboard is still under warranty you get a free a fix from the service center.