Thread: Dell Inspiron 518 Desktop PC won’t boot, tried another PSU as well

Dell Inspiron 518 Desktop PC won’t boot, tried another PSU as well

HI, I am having Inspiron 518 Desktop PC which just don’t start however, front LEDs, HDD, Fan come on for like 3 to 4 seconds, then computer goes off after a short beep, any idea what could be the problem with the machine?

And off course as the title implies I was also thinking as there could be some problem with the power supply which I am using with the machine but still after using another one as well I am having same problem as the PC won’t start, anyways it would be better if someone just let me know how would I resolve it, any suggestion would be appreciated.

re: Dell Inspiron 518 Desktop PC won’t boot, tried another PSU as well

see will you please let me know answer of some of my question regarding the same so that I can have better idea about the same.

• Whether the machine just starts fir 2 to 3 sec and just won’t start or Does it 'hang' when it's loading Windows or when it reaches the desktop?

• Have you reset CMOS ever?

• Have you recently changed internal hardware items?

• When did you noticed this, after installing some software or any program or in which way you came to know about this problem?

It would be better if you just mentioned all the thing perfectly, because there could be so many reason that can result in such manner as the machine won’t start.

according to me you should Check for disconnected computer power cable connections. Since a slack or unplugged power cable is one of the top reasons why a computer doesn't turn on. Along with this you can have another option as well such as change the computer's power cable with another one as this is the power cable that runs among the computer case and the power source. A dreadful power cable isn't a general cause of a computer not receiving power but it does occur and is extremely simple to test for. You can make use of the one that's powering your monitor.

as I mentioned earlier the machine just won’t get started, thus I am not getting the screen even showing the windows loading, as the machine gets off after few seconds itself.

I am completely agree with the above user as please let us know whether you have added RAM? Changed a display card? Added or changed a drive? Since whatever the internal modification has been, if the machine won't start afterwards you've got sign to where the difficulty deceit. eliminate the newly added device or component and try again. If it still your machine will not start have a good look inside to make sure you haven't remove or damaged some additional component as you were working in there. And most importantly you should ensure everything is resolutely in place.

If you are still not getting what could be the problem then you should at least try to remove the RAM which is installed in your machine and then clean it and make it dust free and then install it again and then see, because normally this could be the only reason can cause such problem with the machine.

it seems like there could be some problem with the motherboard that you have, are you sure that it is working fine? If you are not sure then at this moment better option would be to get it tested from the hardware repairing shop, because if there is the only problem then whatever you do with other hardware you’ll keep getting the same problem with the machine.

Confirm that the PSU voltage switch is set properly. If the input voltage for the power supply does not go with the accurate setting for your country, your computer may not stay powered on. probably are your computer wouldn't power on at all if this switch is incorrect but an wrong PSU voltage might also cause your computer turn off by itself.

After that verify for causes of electrical shorts inside your computer. since this is extremely often the cause of the trouble while the computer powers on for a second or two but after that powers off wholly.

Important: It's extremely significant that you spend the time essential to examine the inside of your computer for troubles that can cause shorting. If you don't take the time to troubleshoot this likelihood systematically you may finish missing a easy electrical short and as an alternative performing costly hardware substitution later on for no fine reason.

I am not sure about this but still it seems like there could be some problem with the operating system that you have installed in the machine and not with the hardware, because the hardware which generally causes problem is the RAM and the power supply, and it seems like after seeing the above users suggest you must have tried replacing it with another one.

But if you are still pursuing the same problem that simply means there isn’t any problem with the hardware installed In the machine rather there could be some problem with the operating system only. Have you ever tried reinstalling the newer operating system in the machine if not then I would like to recommend you the same thing as try to reinstall the OS first and see whether you are getting the same problem or not. If possible that you should try to make use of another installation disk, exactly different from the one through which you have installed this previous OS.

why don’t you contact the dell service center for the same? Because if the warranty for the device is still remaining then surely you’ll get service from their end.