Thread: Trying using my old hard disk on a new system

Trying using my old hard disk on a new system

An 80GB IDE and 500GB sata drive was left from my old system after getting upgrade. Now, I got an additional esata drive which which I want to use inside my system. I had fixed my two drives on an enclosure for media files backup. But when I connect the esata drives to the system it is deducted as an usb drive not an regular primary drive. What can I do to fix this out. Is this some kind of driver error or is it related to the limitation of my motherboard. If yes that is related to the limitation of my motherboard then what are the options to fix them out. What can I do to fix it.

Re: Trying using my old hard disk on a new system

You can use some kind of convertor to wipe out the issues. There are number of convertors that you can use. This can be fixed on the sata/ide/usb connection to make your device compatible with any thing. So try an extender and then try aback.

You can use some kind of convertor to wipe out the issues. There are number of convertors that you can use. This can be fixed on the sata/ide/usb connection to make your device compatible with any thing. So try an extender and then try aback.

There was a strange issue that I faced while using a eSATA drive. This is worth discussing here. In my case the eSATA drive is not detected on my system if there was an virus infection. I used a 320GB tradition SATA drive. When I look in the Device Manager and perform hardware scan there is nothing found. Sometime it was detected as an usb drive. I updated my system bios and things went fine. I even tested by installing Windows in the eSATA drive and it is working properly. So probably this issue is not arrived from the operating system. The major issue of this lies in the bios of drive. You have to check an update for the same. Your motherboard might not have proper update to run and detect an esata interface. Go on the official of your motherboard manufacturer and get a fresh bios update. Run it and then check back. This time it will be detected as an regular drive.

It always becomes an issue when you to try to use different standard of hard drive with an single system. It becomes easier if you want to use all sata, or all ide. That makes more sense here. And if your board has all kind of support that also does not matter. A fresh bios updates fixes most of the issues. Attach your drives to your respective connector and go in bios to see that they are listed or not. Those are not can consume more time to get listed. External drives are better but in my experience operating system installed on them are much slower. Try new boards. Read the specification and support for storage media. You will get more solution on the same.

It is better if there is both connection available on the drive. The one which is working keep and and the one which is not remove it.

For me it is not even recognized. Not even in the Device Manager. USB 2.0 works fine. I had the front e-SATA port to port functions on special. The other was identified (brighter red or so). But when I had installed my second drive I had to put the. As far as I from my experience, the eSATA drive do just plug it in front of the boot. It is an common interface for removable media.

This an clear case of different standards not compatible with each other. Either run a firmware update for your hard drive and bios update or you might need to use some additional tool which can make all things things work together. According to me raid can help you but that needs identical types of storage media.