Thread: Unable to reset Admin password in HP Deskjet 6988 Printer

Unable to reset Admin password in HP Deskjet 6988 Printer

I have a deskjet 6988 that I would like to set up wireless printing. I can connect to the printer via Ethernet and via wireless Ad-Hoc and can open the browser early warning system. When you select the Network tab, a dialog box opens and asks for a username and password. I know the owner's manual the name is "Admin", but never set a password and the password is blank. (I suspect I bought a unit returned and a user sets a password). The problem is that the routine use of manual password reset - "Hold Report and press the Cancel three times" - not reset the password. Does anyone know an alternative method to remove the password or backdoor password?

Re: Unable to reset Admin password in HP Deskjet 6988 Printer

You would be able to select the default password a 0000, if the issue still holds on please attempt to reset the printer to defaults
    1. Verify that the printer is powered on.
    2. Press and hold the Report Page button.
    3. While holding the Report Page button, press the Cancel button a couple times.
    4. Discharge the Report Page button.

No, I have been in contact with HP service center to fix numerous times since I have posted it, but their responses are unfailingly the same. They don't appear to comprehend the situation or the item.

It is a disgrace that HP aid has been decreased to this state. The following printer I purchase should not be a HP

A partial reset benefits user settings to production line defaults. On some models, language and country/region settings are additionally reset. Utilize these steps to perform an incomplete reset of the item. Press and keep the Report Page catch on the front board of the printer. While keeping down the Report Page catch, press the Cancel bind a few times.

Notify us whether this works.

Thanks for the reply, but I tried this procedure resets every time I talked to HP support did not work. But- THE RESET PROCEDURE DOES NOT WORK! Thanks also for the manual of the network, but I have the manuals that came with the printer. I also downloaded the manual suggests that there may be a revision procedure, but unfortunately there was none. I have surrendered myself to the way that HP cannot help me unite via wireless. It is now associated via Ethernet. One last supposed, extra duplexer tries not to go with USB interface. It just goes with Ethernet.

Here's an odd thing to attempt. I haven't utilized this strategy for a considerable length of time but it ought to still work. What sort of PC it is safe to say that you are utilizing? Since your PC is joining via wireless and you are running XP or Vista, you are able to utilize a USB flash drive to transfer the system settings from your PC to the Deskjet. Accompany the guidelines on this connection and afterward embed the USB blaze crash into the Deskjet. You ought to utilize a moderately minor limit USB thumb drive (512Mbytes or less). I'll keep on searching for alternate strategies to reset the admin password on your Deskjet.

I'm seeing the same exact problem. There is something wrong with either the firmware or hardware Deskjet 6988 that prevents the resumption of work. I've tested it by cable, wireless, no network, to the door, the door down, the ink in the ink, followed every step of every procedure I have found and even tried to voodoo. Nothing works. I am completely unable to restore the printer to factory defaults.

HP has to recognize that there is an ongoing problem with this printer and find out where the explanation is, as I said, maybe your firmware, maybe hardware. Certainly not a user problem - I am a former employee of HP, and I trust in technology, having worked in computers and printers over a decade.

I can say that the solution mentioned in the above post related to wireless setup (and detailed in the setup guide, page 7) does not work (I did this morning, with 2 GB USB flash drive), but still frustrating that this problem still exists. I've searched on Google and found that its not common, it is common enough to cause problems and could lose customers to HP.

Uninstalling the printer in add and remove programs. Then connect the USB cable or LAN and reinstall the printer from the disk. You will be asked to select your wep / wap, etc key is to get from your router. This also deletes the username and password.

The following is the steps for "deskjet 6980 password reset":

• Press and hold POWER.
    • Press the "X" (Cancel Print) the number of times (1)
    • Press RESUME / FF the number of times (2)
    • Release POWER

1 2 --> ROM-Dump, P/C, Alignment-dates
    If you follow this and look at the download address in the ROM 0408 deskjet 6988, you can see the password and user name is right above it or in its vicinity. Not sure if that direction would be exactly the same for each dump ROM, but the username and password should appear in this dump ROM.