Thread: New Hard Drive shutting down my Asus PC

New Hard Drive shutting down my Asus PC

My Asus pc is shutting down by its self for a week now. I thought it must be a virus but I did the restore option but still no change, so ruled out virus possibility. So, I changd the hard disk thinking it had curropted but still shutting down. When I copy my doc, music, movies to the new drive, it shuts down even when im doing the copying. The screen just scrambles up before shutting. So, I totally removed the old drive and just used the new drive, still no success. So now I think my motherboard has fried or something.

Re: New Hard Drive shutting down my Asus PC

It could also be your power supply. Check the temperature of your PC. Maybe your fans are not cooling down well enough and when there is even a slight load the computer just stops responding and restarts. There is a software to check temperatures of your disk.

I don’t feel it’s the problem of the power supply. Because as you said the Bios screen scrambles up, power supply though guilty in most cases dpsen’t ever scrambles up the screen. I think the Asus motherboard is the culprit. I also had bad experience with these mboards with random restarts and heating up. I got rid of them, and replaced them. Worked for 2-3 months and then again it gave me the same symptoms. Bad video card maybe a problem too, but from my experience I would say it’s the Asus motherboard just replace it and everything will be fine.

You said the screen scrambles at the Asus screen, do you also get some other visual distortions while restarting? If it is so, its definetly the video card that’s at fault and not motherboard. It is a sign that your video card is dying and cannot function any longer. Do try and error. Remove your video card and replace it with another spare one or your friends and see if you still get the problem. If you still getting it then its motherboard that’s gone. Which video card do yu have with you? If it’s in the warranty you could replace it.

Thank you for your reply, yes I am getting all sorts of artifacts on the screen before restarts. I’ll disconnect the video card and tell you the result. I’ve got ATI 5450 and it’s out of warranty though. It was a good card, all my games played smooth. If it’s the fault of video card can I get it repaired? Never repaired a video card before. I’ve got old Nvidia 8600 GT I will use it for testing.

You can get it fixed but it will cost you. And repairing is actually more costly than a new one. Your card is bout $50 with shipping, so it’s better you can buy a new one. Maybe you can buy a latest one at that.

Hey, tahnkyou so much for the help. It was the video card after all. Thank god my new hard drive is safe. I used the Nvidia up all night, and went good without any reboots till nw. Btw I just ordered a new card, ATI 5770.. I wanted the 5850 but it was $200+. Will definitely try trial and error more next time I have a problem. Just random guesses at faults won’t help much. Thank you for trouble shooting my friend. Hope it stays problem free now.