Thread: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 is making a High-Pitched Whine

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 is making a High-Pitched Whine

Hey hi friends, I recently replaced my MSI GTX480 GPU with the new NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 before few weeks. But now I have some problem with it. My computer is booting fine but there is no video output. My computer is making sound and I am sure that it is coming from the video card. This is my third video card, and before this I have used ASUS GTX580 Platinum ROG, but due to some problem I replaced it. I would like to know if you are having any idea about what I can do for stop this voice from my video card. I am having the following configuration of my computer:
    ASUS Maximus IV Extreme
    i7-2600K @ 4.729GHz
    ABS SL1050 1050 Watts
    Mushkin Redline 1866 2x4 GB

Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 is making a High-Pitched Whine

Friend I think that the problem is not related with the video cards. I think that you should try after removing all the overclocks and see what is happening. I am saying that because many cards, impossible, however this worries me: i7-2600K @ 4.729GHz. So in your case I will suggest you to try with removing overclocks and then try again.

Let me thing about your problem. I am also using the same video card but I am not getting any problem at all. I am using OC for about 2 months and getting no problem at all. I am thinking that if this card cannot be used at the OC'd computer then it is no use. For this thing I can trying to submit my request at the MSI but I am getting problem at there while I click on the summit. I also want to know that why this card couldn't handle on an OC'd CPU. If anyone have some idea about it then please reply me also on this forum.

Yes, I will also suggest you to remove all overclocks and then try again with your problem. I am sure that it will help you to solve your problem. And if you are trying and nothing is happening with then I think that your OC went bad, then you will need to think about your OC. And also I will recommend you to continue try with reply at the MSI, they will reply you for your problem. For this you will need to keep on requesting.

I had cleared in starting that 2 ASUS cards I had to return this month were used. I don’t know that my card is bad or not, I want to know that would I need to replace that? When first time I opened the packages, I saw that they were not in anti-static bags, and also on that they have finger prints all over them. I think that, I never said a word as to whether they were bad or not other than a bad card is one that is sold as new and turns out to be used. According to your suggestion, I did underclock my CPU to stock. I try with reinstalling my MSI but no changes, still I am getting the same problem. Then I decided to reinstall the old MSI GTX480 and then it works fine in this case. So any more suggestion for this problem. I am still waiting for the MIS response.

I mean to say that, when I clicked on the submit and nothing happens at there. It mean Nothing happened at all. I am not able to see any indication that the request was sent or received. And I want to know that why you are saying that MSI wouldn't respond because you have overclocked your ASUS motherboard? It is not there business. I think that , my OC was set by the included ASUS software. Hey, if MSI is against overclocking then time I will suggest you that they remove any and all references to world records being set with overclocked MSI products in their advertising. I am telling you this thing because I had read these things from the trusted site. I think that this sound is made by any capacitor, because only capacitors making a squealing sound. I think that there are some problems with your new MSI card. I think that this is the first time when I am using the video card and still it is not working properly.

I would like to ask you that is there any peep sound from your motherboard? If yes then I think that it is giving you an indication that the power load on the 6+8 pin is not enough, but I am not sorry in this case. Also I don’t know the full trouble shooting features behind the beep.

Hey, can you suggest me anything else? I am saying thing because I don’t want to return my this card, unless I don’t have any other choice. And also I don’t want to send to the warranty service. I think that brand new out of the box, then I'll never be able to trust it or be happy with it. And in this case I would like to know that how a capacitor could make any sound at all. If you have any goos idea about it then please report me back.

Hey, sorry I don’t think that this thing is coming from the speaker or not? If yes then I think that this is not due to your video card, It isn't a "beep". I think that the sound is almost deafening in that specific tone. And in this case My right ear is still ringing from it so I think that this sound is dangerous to hearing. Next time I am going to have to find my ear plugs before I turn this thing on again. After searching on the net, I found that there is a switch for using LN or DICE. And now I am searching for that switch. For this I copied and unzipped the "Owner's Manual". After that I found that this nothing but copy from the box and this is no manual at all. I found that no troubleshooting guide at all. On the photo which this contain, having no indication on that switch.

Hey, thanks for your help. I am trying all the thing that was suggested to me but still I am facing the same problem. While using this card on the other computer I found the same thing happening over there. After using this card to other computer I am sure that this fault was due to my video card. This is first time that I am suffering from this type of the problem with the Video card, and also this is 8th built for the video card. And with this I really didn't appreciate this: "3 cards bad = user error. In your case OC error caused by user". Now I had decided to replace my card and I am sure that after this replace I will able to deal with my problem. And also I have to go through RMA for a 3rd time in one month.