Thread: Differences Between DSL and Cable?

Differences Between DSL and Cable?

I am having cable with optus. I have had it for 5 years from now. I am still not sure if I should get dsl networking. I have never used dsl and I am not a hardware person. I want to know that which has the fastest speed. Can anybody help me out and let me know the features of them and cost. I know that they are the most well known and widely used type of internet service. I would like to hear more on this from you guys. Kindly tell me regarding this. Thank you in advance.

Re: Differences Between DSL and Cable?

Cable internet service is transferred through a modem and is a cable like line which is used for cable tv and dsl internet service is transferred through a modem and a telephone line.

Cable internet service is the fastest as compared to the dsl internet service. But yes it is true that cable is not as reliable and than dsl. In US, cables are more popular than the dsl. Cable and DSL implement different network security models. There is one type of dsl technology called vdsl which is almost as gast as the cable. Cable technology supports approximately 30 mbps of bandwidth and most of the DSL cannot reach 10 mbps. The price varies between the two about a lot as dsl is quite cheaper and average. There are some security issues with cable. They don't seem to have worked into much so far but it is expected that they will soon do that. Well let me tell you that to set up a Digital Subscriber Line (DSL) or cable connection you first need an account with an Internet service provider (ISP). For DSL, the ISP is usually a phone company, for cable it is usually a cable TV provider. The best example for cable would be hathway internet. DSL and cable service have a different service levels

The dsl subscriber needs to be within certain area around the telephone hub to get the best of dsl service. Dsl is available in all areas. To learn more I would say just google around the internet and you will find lots of results regarding this.

Well I don’t see any difference in the download speed between dsl and cable. I have used both of them. Currently I am using cable internet service.