Thread: How to connect two Dell PS4000 Equallogic arrays

How to connect two Dell PS4000 Equallogic arrays

Today I got a Dell PS4000 array and configured with 8x 300 GB SAS disks. This is arrangement with RAID 50 as well as 2 hot spare disks. Currently I require further diskspace, and seeing as 8 latest SAS discs charge approximately the similar as the fresh array through 8 SATA discs. So I decided to purchase a new array now. I have divided my volume on top of the obtainable EQL into 4 dissimilar volumes that are obtainable to the ESXi hosts within VMware. The fresh array is going to be configuring with RAID 6, will I be capable to put in the space on EQL2 toward the accessible volumes on EQL1? Will it work?

Re: How to connect two Dell PS4000 Equallogic arrays

I heard that these sets come with a PS version 5.1 firmware Dell EqualLogic, which can significantly improve the performance of the berries Travis Vigil said. This firmware as well permits the data center to migrate to Ethernet in excess of traditional Fiber Channel links. In addition, the update is companionable with the next arrival of VMware VSphere 5.

First off all, VMware doesn’t advise increasing volumes. They suggest making the fresh larger datastore, afterward moving the VM’s above to them (vmotion). Furthermore, even though it’s probable, we don’t typically suggest mixing dissimilar drive technologies within the similar pool (i.e., SAS as well as SATA) except it's absolutely essential. There are a little performance deal off's that would require to be considered. For the most excellent practices while configuring a storage pool:
    • Do not combine arrays by dissimilar drive speeds inside a single pool except they are running a exclusive RAID policy
    • Do not combine arrays through dissimilar drive technologies (SATA, SAS, SSD) inside a solitary pool
    • Do not mix up arrays by way of diverse controller speeds (1GbE, 10GbE).

In line with this strategy, the manufacturer is therefore to present two new SAN arrays, the PS4100 and PS6100. Both products succeed the previous PS4000 and PS6000 iSCSI SAN. Supports hard drives and SSDs in 2.5-inch and 3.5 inch (7200rpm SATA, SAS 10000/15000tpm), these new EqualLogic arrays double the storage density compared to the previous generation.

The management of Dell storage systems made by the concomitant administration EqualLogic software. This has all the features needed for a complete SAN solution are needed

Exemplifies the variety of Dell storage systems, we want to pick out the PS6000XVS / PS6010XVS. The scope of PS6000XVS includes provision regarding fault tolerance through redundant hot-swappable disks. The models EqualLogic arrays PS6000XVS PS6010XVS and support both SAS and SSD drives. Both are equipped with the new firmware version 5.0 features, which both improves performance and scalability.
    The memory arrays EqualLogic PS series are based on virtualized modular storage architecture. The arrays also support automatic data tiering. IT managers need therefore only as much storage to purchase, as is required for current needs.