Thread: Western Digital 3TB WD30EZRS does not shows full size

Western Digital 3TB WD30EZRS does not shows full size

I am not able to get full reading of Western Digital 3TB drive. I do not know what is happening here. The system is new and it has is single 3TB drive. Now when open disk management to configure the partition I found less than space what is written over the disk. This disc came pre-formatted. Does this is an used or damage piece.

Re: Western Digital 3TB WD30EZRS does not shows full size

This is surely a damage piece. When you get a 1Tb hard drive for example, you can check the actual size by using a windows or any operating system bootable disc. At the menu where you format the system it shows you the entire size with some mbs left reserved for mbr. There should not be a a very high difference. That mean those part is either damaged or the hard drive needs an firmware updates. Second thing you will also need to check in your system that your motherboard or bios must have enough compatibility to detect and manage that large size. OR else it can be also due to your systems limitations. Better have a look on both. In Device Manager you get the final free space to create partition and if that is not what you expect, return the hard drive straight away. For any healthy hard drive it is common to show the entire available space.

There can be some issue with the drive and troubleshooting the firmware, etc will not really work in your case.

It is possible that the hard drive you purchased shows you lesser space what is published in the specifications. There are number of reasons for this. First can be due to the average size which is calculated and displayed. You have to check with some specialized tool the actual size of your drive. When there are partitions made in the drive, the total size has more changes what you see in single partition. Some hidden files or program in your drive can eat up the space. This can common for those drives which comes with special encryption program like HDD Lock.

Run the drives firmware update. To do that right click on My Computer > Properties and then go in Hardware. Go in Device Manager and then right click on the hard drive. Choose update drivers. That's it.

This is an common issue with usb drives. They with flash chips. And when on the circuit some chips are damage the actual size disappears. Like an 8GB drive will show 4GB. They are not reparable. You need to use them like that or replace them. But for hard drive the case is different. It looks some wrong configuration issue.

Same problem here, just bought a 3tb WD HDD and is showing me only 715GB

Quote Originally Posted by Diplan View Post
    Same problem here, just bought a 3tb WD HDD and is showing me only 715GB
    Have you tried using MBR (master boot record) to format? If yes then that is your problem, as a drive formated with mbr can't have more then 2TB of space. The other option is gpt and this allow's you to use bigger drives/volumes. Normaly diskmanager gives you to option to select either when first formating the drive. Default it is set to mbr. You just have to use a GPT formatting utility instead of NTFS.