Thread: Windows 7 detect Caviar Blue 500GB as usb

Windows 7 detect Caviar Blue 500GB as usb

I find a strange issue when I connected one of my friends hard drive to take his data backup. It is an 500gb Caviar Blue esata drive. I connected and when I open My Computer I found an icon of removable media. Like how you can see for an usb drive. Why this icon appears. Windows can detect this also an secondary drive. I tried checking for the usb drive stuff but nothing such other thing is connected to the system. I tried reconnecting this some time but the issue lies some. Does this issue is related to my pc only or there are some more users who are facing the same thing. I need help to fix this out. The data transfer rate is super slow. I cannot wait for long time to get the data backup on my system. The hard disk is going for replacement for the same reason to the service center. Thanks.

Re: Windows 7 detect Caviar Blue 500GB as usb

I am not sure, but I found this common with esata port. When you connect the drives to this port the removable icon do appears. The reason is that, eSATA provides to hot swap your disc. I will recommend you to update your firmware and also bios if possible. That might fix the issue.

Yes a Firmware updates can fix this issue. Do one thing, connect the hard drive and then go in bios. Go in the first page and check that the hard drive is listed below on the primary and secondary drive. The other drive must be listed somewhere there.You can try changing the port and other stuff will work. Go in your chipset configuration and check the settings.

Try to modify the jumper settings. That can fix the issue I think. Not with the usb issue, but finding your two drivers under master and slave. By setting this jumper computer know which drive to read the operating system that is your first one which stays as master. You can view your motherboard manual and check for the exact jumper settings. But I was looking for more info between esata and sata drives. Such issue never occurs when you are using an sata drives. They are proper and work nicely. They are detected even when use more than 2. I never got an chance to work on esata. But the issue looks a bit new. A bios update can fix the issue. Your bios might be detecting it as an external drive. Because of which it is found as an removable drive. The interface difference might be causing the issue.

There is some difference between eSATA and SATA. The connectors are electrically equivalent, but physically different. A majority of 3.5 "hard drives mainly used on desktop PCs runs on SATA interface. eSATA is an most common interface for external devices. So that can be the reason. There is no major issue, just connect get a data backup and if there is any major issue ask for replacement.