Thread: WD1001FALS because of power supply can we recover it

WD1001FALS because of power supply can we recover it

Failure of power supply in my media PC. At one point, and a cloud of smoke and then nothing. If you did not remove the motherboard, memory, video card, and three of the four WD hard drives. A drive was not just the operating system is no problem. The other two units were not raided WD1001FALS. I cannot say that the data are critical, but highly desirable for recovery. So here's my thought. Since the bosses are good (I suppose), can the work of another WD1001FALS. PCB had crash my disk only to get the data off of it?

Re: WD1001FALS because of power supply can we recover it

It is difficult to know, not all PCB are the same, even if the units share the same model number, which may have different firmware.

No two identical units. Each unit stores information unique to a particular unit of flash memory chip. When altering the boards, you require moving the chip or its inside to the contributor. A number of motherboards have a chip 8-pin external flash memory in its position of U12, which makes this comparatively easy job. However, if U12 is empty, then the "adaptation" of the MCU's internal data, if the Marvell chip.

If you are lucky, then the tables are protected by the 5V and 12V TVS diodes D3 and D4, near the SATA power connector. If so, then the solution is to remove the diodes shorted with flush cutters. The unit wok without them, but do not have surge protection on the affected supply rail. It is also essential to check the zero ohm resistors R64 and R67 to. They from time to time go to open as fuses. If so, then the bridges with a short cable link, or a drop of solder.

If this is the scenario, with many inexperienced technicians attempt to swap PCB from another drive Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS the same model, but the chances of winning hard drive recovery is near zero, particularly in the new hard drives Western Digital. The problem is that the logic board and the microcode of the service area in the modern Western Digital hard drives are suitable for mounting the disk head is manufactured. In our laboratory we use specialized software, machinery and equipment to reprogram and rebuild these parameters or transfer board for donors damaged PCB fully compatible with the damaged unit