Thread: Things We Miss About Old-school Computing

Things We Miss About Old-school Computing

Anyone remember anything about Old-school Computing? I just get some points which we overlook or I can say we miss that things. Like:
    • More RAM Than You Can Handle
    • Easy, Registry-Free Tweaks
    • Software That Goes With You
    • Lightning-Fast Startups
    • A Virus? What's That?

Anyone have any idea about this? I really search for this. If anyone here has any idea or if anyone here finds anything about this than please let me know. Please suggest or share your experience with me.

Re: Things We Miss About Old-school Computing

More RAM Than You Can Handle
    I can hardly memorize the 256 and I think it was too less with a Packard Bell in 1995. I utilize Apple computers and the C64, but not at all thought what they had in their cases. Well if you really dumb by a computer system and I mean to get rid of everything but essential then maybe.

Easy, Registry-Free Tweaks
    I was starting in the world of computers when Windows 95 came out, and I've done some initial minor with some games later, but I concur however, that modifying the registry is terrible most probable crash the system.

Software That Goes With You
    I memorize doing it the old fashioned way, with a pair of printers that did that and, obviously, the millions of AOL disks you send each day. Obviously, having a hard drive of 1 GB means you were hugely wealthy because of how exclusive these things were in the army unit that was that had these very old laptop which just had the hard drive 1 GB, and lastly got rid of them.

Lightning-Fast Startups
    I never really paid attention to this from the beginning so for me that's a tough decision, but it gets pretty rubbish in your computer could slow to the point that it feels like a 28k modem.

A Virus? What's That?
    If you know your computer history virus is not really a concern to 80 when the team all adolescents and college nerd started going after the military installations and what not. Obviously, a surveillance I made is that virus writing refuse in recent years as people are making money on spam and identity theft, it does get a virus or two out there that will do a few smash up

I just stated my escapade with a Tandy computer or a Commodore 64, if that counts. Those Specifications do not memorize, but later than that I got into Windows 3.1 with Chip Challenge. Nostalgic and fun to read a few of these, mainly the piece of tape to virus protection.

Here I have some of my experience of computer:

1. Do not drop the stack of punched cards, which was always a problem.
    2. The ticker is always run out of ink or ribbon printer at the time they were ready to print the code for delivery in
    3. Computer Lab will be closed and turn off at 22:00, just for maintenance at night, which took 4 hours to backup the system in 12-inch tape drives.
    4. Your recorder will squash or run out of battery at the most stable.
    5. Could not discover civilized coffee anywhere approaching the computer labs and if left to get one, you mislaid your place in line to place their cards in the card reader.

Hit the card, but existed only in fairy tales, I think to play Tic-tac-toe in the punch card system was like 60,000 or so cards Heck I do not think you want to eliminate the period of cards as that are not numbered in order or something. Well luckily for you the lip is not a star of dollars every 5 feet of you.

I would add that there was almost always more space on the hard drive you could fill. He was 80 MB on a laptop 386 and 500 MB on an old 486 that could never be filled. Now, I have a terabyte of data on external USB hard drive and an internal hard drive of 80 GB is pretty full with only 2 GB of free space that has a swap file and temporary files.