Thread: Windows 7 update causes Western Digital WD20EARS-00MVWB0 to disappear

Windows 7 update causes Western Digital WD20EARS-00MVWB0 to disappear

My System specification is:
    • Operating System: Windows 7 SP1 64 bit
    • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3
    • Hard Drive : Seagate ST3500320AS Western Digital WD20EARS

I am having problem with my system form few days. The problem I is actually occurring when I have actually updated my windows 7 when new updates are available over the windows automatic update. After update download finished I have restarted my system and the operating system is actually not showing my western digital hard drive. Only one hard drive is viewable to me. So does anyone has face such a problem if yes then please provide me the solution which will resolve the issue I am facing.

Re: Windows 7 update causes Western Digital WD20EARS-00MVWB0 to disappear

Since I have faced same problem with my Seagate hard drive.I don’t think it is the problem related to the operating system. It is actually related to the hardware itself. Check if the SATA data cable of your hard drive is connected perfectly to your motherboard and also to the hard drive. Since such a problem of not detecting hard drive can cause due to this only. Check it. It will solve the problem.

I have faced the problem with the hard drive and it is actually due to the bios settings. So I will suggest you to check the bios settings. You can access the bios when system is starting up by pressing delete or f2 key. Then Check that in the bios the hard drive is detected or not. If it not detecting try to check for the hard drive in the bios connect every connecter to the hard drive perfectly form power to data. And again check if still it is not detecting try to keep single hard drive and check if it is detected or not.

I have other solution for you which can help you to solve the problem you are facing. Sometime due to some cause by mistake windows make the main drive as the dynamic drive due to that drive can’t be able to detected and content in it also never shown up by the drive. So I will suggest you to use the MS deskprob.exe utility. And change the 01C2 of the drive from 42h to 07h. after doing this do one restart and now try to check the drive it will be visible to you in operating system.

I think the power is not provided to the hard drive. So I will suggest you to check the power cable is connected to the hard drive since it is possibility that this was not connected perfectly and will be loose. So open the pc and connect it perfectly.

If the problem is occurred after the windows is gets updated I will suggest you to rollback your updates. Since it has done some changes in the settings which is not allowing you to show actually the content of the hard drive. I think your driver is actually displayed as the dynamic drive with the no files in it. so I will suggest you that use the recovery software to recover the content one of the best software is Test Disk which is free. And it can recover the drive.

I think what he said is correct since the update actually making some problems. Yes windows make the main drive to the dynamic automatically. So Microsoft has to point out the problem which is actually causing this. So they need to provide the other update to resolve the problem.