Thread: Write protection on Freeagent drive's content

Write protection on Freeagent drive's content

Hi, I am using a Freeagent drive and I have noticed that when I download any content from the internet it automatically gets write protected and the thing is like whenever I try to delete them it just displays a message saying the file is protected you can delete it.

And because of that only I have too many files with such a protection which is undeletable, which has already occupied too much space one the disk.

Any suggestion would be appreciated for deleting those files, thanks.

Re: Write protection on Freeagent drive's content

Yeah this is not by default but there has some write protection given by the some of the users only who sits on your computer thus you’ll not be able to delete those file till you get the permission or you’ll be only able to delete the files if you Login through administrator account because only this user has the rights to perform any such action on the content which is present in the Hard drive, so just make sure that no one have given such a permission and if you found any such then you have to get permission first as I mention.

Thanks for the suggestion dude but the thing is like there is no one who sits on the PC apart from me, thus I am the only user and the administrator off course but still I am not able to get it delete.

This is something serious I would say but still I am not sure whether the given information would work in your case or not but still I have already tried and it worked for me.

Just follow the below steps.
    • First of all you have to open command prompt, with the administrator account.

• As soon as you got the windows type "diskpart" and then type "list volume".

• type "select volume L" (where L is locked drive)

• after that type "attributes disk" and see it is selected randomly or not, thus If you get the value if true then you have to type "attributes disk clear readonly" .

• and the same thing you have to check for the volume as well, type "attributes volume" and if you got the value true then type "attributes volume clear readonly".

• And then try to delete those files.

I would say there isn’t any need of using the CMD as well because we can do the same thing Right clicking on the file and then click on its properties so that the windows will appear and from there only we can uncheck the attribute which is set already. So after doing that you’ll be able to delete all such files.

If you are still having problem with the same then you should try to delete the files from the machine by entering in to the safe mode, because there isn’t any such permission set and that will surely allow you to delete the files, and off course you have to do this with the administrative rights only. and if suppose you are still not able to delete them then you can have option to get any unlocking software that will unlock the protection and you’ll be able to delete it for sure.

Thanks for the suggestion it just worked perfectly, and I have deleted all such files.