Thread: Only getting clicking sound, FreeAgent Desk unable to turn on

Only getting clicking sound, FreeAgent Desk unable to turn on

I've been using my FreeAgent Desk 2.0 External HDD with Windows 7 64-bit computer since couple of months and I haven’t get any problem with the HDD but now I am having problem with it as while it starts up from the sleep mode, primarily I perceive sound something like a spinning something and that progressively goes from low to high tone.

But once I copied some of the files to FreeAgent and tried to open then but after doing that Windows Explorer gets hanged don’t know why what could be problem I am not getting anything.

And this was just while connecting to the PC but when I connect the power cable it just get shutdown in few seconds and won’t turn on.

Any idea what could be the problem, any suggestion would be appreciated.

Re: Only getting clicking sound, FreeAgent Desk unable to turn on

See after seeing your comments I was quite unsure about the problem because as there is another problem while connecting to PC and another while connecting to power cable.

If the windows Explore is getting hanged that means either the files that you had copied is corrupted or it couldn’t copies perfectly rather wholly, try to copy it again in the HDD and then try again.

And as you connect the HDD to the power cable and it won’t turn on that means there could be some problem in the connector or might be the power cable that you are using is not working perfectly, thus according to me you should try to get it charge through another cable.

I think it sounds like COD (clack of death), thus I am not sure whether you’ll be able to do a test or not but you should try to do a seatools test and open up an RMA for it, if Seatools can't get to it, though you should RMA it anyway.

Be sure the MBR isn't your C drive or whatever bootable drive that you have assigned because once it gets break PC won't boot anymore.

You should try to format the disk while connecting it to the PC and then try to connect it to the power cable so that all the wrong cache would be deleted and you might get it connect.

If you are not getting what could be the problem even after doing all the mentioned thing the better option would be to contact the support center rather than just applying all the quick tips on your own, because after doing that you may get some damage or corruption to the hardware and the file system respectively. And you’ll get the service for free if you have warranty remaining for the device.