Thread: USB Flash Drive Problems in XP Pro

USB Flash Drive Problems in XP Pro

Hello,

I use my usb flash drive for playing songs in my car. I once used the flash drive for copying some pdf files from a unknown desktop PC. Since then I think I got infected with some virus. I formatted the USB flash drive but I keep facing the same problem over and over. Each time I need to format the drive, and copy the songs has become a pain.

I'm using Win XP Pro, SP3. Kingston Data Traveler G3 USB Flash Drive.

Symptoms of the problem:

My flash drive contains some music folders and each of them is more than 2kb, since those folders contain many mp3 songs. But each folder is shown in the explorer window (PIC attached) as 2kb only. Now every time I try to open the folders in the usb flash drive, I keep getting this message "J:\RECYCLER\383B3FB65419F842DC70602F98130B3.exe" (pic attached).

I just went into the cmd prompt and into the drive letter. In the dir listing, its showing all folders as foldername.lnk, but when I CD into the HINDI/ENGLISH/TELUGU folders, i am able to see all the songs. Why is it not showing in the explorer window, but showing in cmd prompt? Is this still infected, despite cleaning and formatting? I want to get rid of this for good? Or do I need to throw this away and buy a new one? Any help would be really appreciated.

After scouting the Internet for possible solutions, I tried the clearInf file and made a batch file and kept in the flash drive. But I'm not sure if its really helping or not. The code of the batch file is like this
    "rem @echo off
    Echo Copy this file to the top level of the disk or USB from
    Echo which you want to remove the Autorun, then run it
    Echo press Ctr C to stop now, or Enter to continue
    Pause

Attrib -r -s -h Recycle /s /d
    Attrib -r -s -h autorun.inf
    Attrib -r -s -h /d /s "Recycle\P-1-3-64-8794238531-8742492-9897532"

Del autorun.inf /q
    "
    Any help or guidance would be really helpful.

Thanks.
    Sai
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: USB Flash Drive Problems in XP Pro

It seems that you are being infected by RECYCLER.exe virus. Try to download malwarebytes antimalware and scan the usb drive to remove the virus. You can also try the below command in the command prompt for your usb drive:

attrib -r -s -h Recycler.exe
    del -S -F Recycler.exe

Or else do it in all the drives and see if that helps.

Re: USB Flash Drive Problems in XP Pro

I already tried MBAM, SuperAntispyware. Everything is normal. Hence I tried the forum.

There is no recycler virus I guess as none of the above could detect it. So I continued scouting the internet and came across this link, which should be useful/helpful for others facing this problem. It solved my problem for now.

Thanks once again for attempting to help.