Thread: How to check barracuda st2000dl003 4k AF advance format running or not

How to check barracuda st2000dl003 4k AF advance format running or not

Guys I am confused that is my 4k AF advance format is running or not so I want to ask you that is it possible can you tell me how can I do this are there any tools which would be helping me to do this. I really want some help for this I want to know something about this?

Re: How to check barracuda st2000dl003 4k AF advance format running or not

Ok so for this you can use the HDDscan which would tell you about the "Logical Sector Size" and "Physical Sector Size", and just what more about the advanced format drive what would I like to say is that the value will be 512 byte and 4096 bytes I hope this will give you some clue.

Hey friend thank you so much I have got a result and i am really confused so I want some help from you to clear this.
    I have been getting the value as

LBA Support Yes

LBA28 268435455

LBA28 3907029168

ATA Version 8

Logical Sector Size 512 byte

Physical Sector Size 512 bytes

Interface SATA

Connected through IDE-onboard controller

Cache size Not Reported

Please clear what’s all this about.

So by this I can tell you that this HDDscan has been saying that the drive has been reporting a physical sector size which is identical with the logical sector size. And the advanced drive would have been a 4096-byte physical sector size. And I can make out that the drive is not the AF model. But I would say that the AF modes is in the identify device information block and they are optional so even if the drive not identified as the AF model but still it would be it.

Thanks mathews and Erubiel I did as you suggested but now I have few more stuffs to ask and that is I have installed windows on the drive without formatting the previous one and my problem can be because of that is it? And is the HD tune pro reporting Alignment of 1MB of this drive? And even I would be asking that I have found something like

Bytes per sector:512
    Bytes per Clustor:4096

Can you tell me what is this about?

Would like to speak something over it hope it suggest you something, ok so what I think is your partition must have been automatically been aligned into when you must be using the windows 7 and then vista, otherwise all the problems of the misalignment and all are normally handled internally by the drive smartalign firmware with the fact of 1mb alignment and this does means that the first sector would be starting at the 2048 and which would be divisible by 8 and so this would be confirming that it has to be aligned so there is nothing for you to worry about that.

Something more I would like to tell you about and that would be about the clusters. The cluster is an OS concept, it has nothing much to hang up with the hardware. But in the typical NTFS file system the OS assigns a luster size of 8 sectors and it can easily use a cluster size with 4 sector or even can use uptill 16 sectors.

I worked out some of the steps suggested by you guys but i dint found much help from that i though you all would be able to help me out but unfortunately by my bad luck the solutions haven't been working for me anyways i have one of my friend who has been better in this and i had some talk with him and he was able to solve my problem out.