Thread: Upgradation to MacOS Lion 10.7 has made my external slow.

Upgradation to MacOS Lion 10.7 has made my external slow.

I have upgraded my MacOS to Lion, the most powerful Mac yet hoping that it will never give me a chance to complain. But here I am complaining about it. Actually the problem is with my external hard disk, it is running really slow now. The only thing on my hard drive is the iTunes library and nothing else. When I try and scroll up and down my library with the mouse wheel it keeps waiting seconds and when I'm playing tracks sometimes the elapsed time counter cuts out for a few seconds and then catches itself up. It also takes a lot of time when I click on close button or to click on a movie or song to play. Before upgradation the iTunes worked perfectly fine. I don’t know wherein the problem lies. Please help me.

Re: Upgradation to MacOS Lion 10.7 has made my external slow.

I have seen this problem to many computers with Mac recently. I don’t know the exact problem for the cause but can suggest something. When you upgraded to the newer version of mac I think iTunes automatically updated itself and has introduced smart playlists and “Live updating” of the playlists. This auto updating might lead to slow down of iTunes. This is also for tiger and other versions. To cure this you just have to turn off the Live Updating in all your playlist. I also had slowdown effect, so I clicked each and every playlist to turn off the Live updates and now iTunes responds normally.

Yes, man really you should just turn off the Live Updating of the smart playlists. The smart playlist are in my opinion just a waste of time and not smart as it sounds. Auto Updating simply adds or removes tunes from your smartlist when you add or remove songs to the library. This is possible only if Auto Updating is on. So, it does dynamically changes the playlists but it would normally happen also. I don’t understand why is there a option for it anyways. Just wanted to give my opinion on the smart playlist that’s all. Anyways your problem does resolve if you try turning it off though.

I don’t know if disabling auto updates is gonna help in solving the problem. I find Live updates to be interesting feature. There is one playlist, in my that has all unrated songs. Now if I rate this song it automatically moves from the Playlist to the rated section. But if you are listening to the song, it is stopped in midway and moved to the other playlist. But I still feel that having auto Update is helpful in lot of ways.

Thank you for your reply guys, I did try to turn off Live Updating as you guys have mentioned in the topic above. It did work and now my iTunes is playing with a little less of a lag and is loading quickly then earlier. Thankyou for your valuable suggestions now I can enjoy itunes on my Mac from now on. Although the hard disk is still a bit slow but it might be because it is loading from an external portable disk and it consumes some amont of memory also. Once again thanks for your prompt replies.