Thread: Guid aka GPT

smile Guid aka GPT

Need some help~
    never had any hard drive over 2TB....but will be receiving a 3TB from Tiger direct.

I'm running an ASUS "M4A87TD"....and I understand that on my windows 7 ultimate 64bit I have to use GUID....My Q....on installing where can I format it into GUID?...or will i have to go ~once I have installed er~

MBR disks support only four partition table entries. Where Guid accepts like way more! however...would I have to do this=

To change a master boot record disk into a GUID partition table disk using the Windows interface

Back up or move the data on the basic master boot record (MBR) disk you want to convert into a GUID partition table (GPT) disk.

If the disk contains any partitions or volumes, right-click any volumes on the disk and then click Delete Partition or Delete Volume.

Right-click the MBR disk that you want to change into a GPT disk, and then click Convert to GPT Disk

Or ~hopefully~ I can do it as I'm installing 7?
    thanks~

Cowboy

Re: Guid aka GPT

I think that windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 support booting from EFI. ( x64 does at least). It was supported in x64 versions of Vista with SP1 as well as Windows Server 2008 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946557. You have to have an EFI based system to support booting from GPT disks however. Please see the following article: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device...e/GPT_FAQ.mspx