Thread: New Sandia CPU Cooler Design Offers Breakthrough

New Sandia CPU Cooler Design Offers Breakthrough

In a conventional CPU cooler, the bottleneck is the heat transfer boundary layer of "dead air" that adheres to the cooling fins. This insulating layer is largely unaffected by the incident air flow generated by the fan. The drastically dissimilar approach described here overcomes this thermal bottleneck, ensuing in enhanced a number of times in the cooling performance on a device that is smaller, quieter, and immune to clogging by dust. This is what the information I got from the internet. I would be happy if you provide more information.

Re: New Sandia CPU Cooler Design Offers Breakthrough

In this architecture the new device, heat is efficiently transferred from a base plate fixed to a rotation (CAC), a structure that combines the functionality of the cooling fins with a centrifugal impeller. Dead air surrounding the cooling fins is subjected to a centrifugal pump powerful effect, providing a 10-fold reduction in the thickness of the boundary layer at a rate of a few thousand revolutions per minute. In addition, high-speed rotation completely eliminates the problem of contamination of the heat exchanger. The "advantage of direct transmission" in establishing the relative motion between the cooling fins and the air turning the heat exchanger, provides a dramatic improvement in aerodynamic efficiency. This results in extremely quiet operation. The benefits listed below have been quantified in a proof of concept prototype.

What was not said is that they have a model, which is a little over 10 cm in diameter operating at 0.2 C / W. And believe it could go as low as 0.1C / W. That is 10 times lesser, can cool better than most air coolers, and use less energy to do it? It almost seems too good to be true. During this time the fans blowing air in some metal fins in his view, much more effective to rotate only around the cooling fins through the air (rather than the reverse).

The transfer of heat to the fins while turning is probably an interesting problem. In this case, use an air chamber that is as narrow as one-thousandth of an inch between the board and the rotating assembly. I do not see how this is different than a heatsink + fan setup in the "dead". One is the air flowing over the heat sink and the other heat sink moves through the air. The curves airflow through the fins on the design of the OP, but appears to reduce this problem.

The IIRC from the link on Slashdot about it one idea is to place a "cap" of fans and air only in the middle of the account. Personally, since it sucks air in the middle (which limits a higher speed / high-end point), then the interior space (diameter) should increase as the increase in fin height, so that possibly, which has a cup shape in the center. (Assuming sufficient thickness of the leaves to allow the heat to raise so high). In general, the idea seems a little better, but the problem is getting heat from the heatsink blades in motion. That's where I see the most interesting coming from. (For example, axial fans have been around for a while).

A fan is much easier to direct the flow of air to the outside, only a cage slightly away from the blades and a hole for air to pass through. The one I have also had some leaves in different angle (almost like regular fan blades, except that connect to the plate and have a higher angle) in the center to help remove air and reduce the access point. I think this came from a transformer or something like that is too large for use on a CPU.

To be sincere, I have the same concern; even that someone was on the point. "The greater the relative mass, the smallest imbalance needed to destroy." It still amazes me that someone found a different way of doing things, I'm anxious to see what the final product looks like and how much you will end up costing. Also some concern about these people "eat" finger seems quite valid as well. That does not stop me from buying one, however, if it is quieter and cools better than conventional air coolers.