Thread: How to use PSU as a charger?

How to use PSU as a charger?

I am planning to buy a battery charger IMAX B6 charger, for charging the battery of my laptop. I am thinking instead of buying 12v 5a plug, I am deciding to use my extra PSU. So I want to know that can I use the charger clip to the PSU for the 12v output. I have PSU at my home, it is working okay, so I am thinking that can I use this to charge the battery using the charger clip, without wasting the money?

Re: How to use PSU as a charger?

I think it should be fine, by using this you have the ATX supply with the help of the wire, it will work correctly and may also need the load across one rails for working. Using the clip of the charger, PC power supply can be modified to supply 10 or 14.1 volt. With this type of the arrangement the PSU will able to produce 10 or 14.1 volt output. However, some times may not able to produce such amount of current.

It is possible to use the PSU instead of a charger by using the proper pin, it will not able to charge the battery . the diod will help to form the duplication of the transformers to form such a thing. Most of the power supply unit are able to produce the output upto 10V or to 14.1V, and the minimum requierement for the battery charging is also 10v to 14.1v.so if you have the clip for the charging the I am also agree that it will work fine.

I think old garbage PSU will perfect for this job, which work fine. Charger is smart enough to shut off power to the battery. I have got an old 350w PSU that was able to produce 12v power perfect for the 12v fan to run for the few hours. I was using this old PSU wit the help of the paper clip in the ATX 20/24 pin for connecting with the fan. I was using that PSU switch to on and off the fan. So you can use your old PSU to provide the proper voltage power to charge your battery.