Thread: Hard Drive making clunking noise when idle

Hard Drive making clunking noise when idle

I have a brand new ASUS Eee PC 1015px but its giving trouble. The trouble is that the hard drive has been making ‘clunking’ noise out of the box. It occurs in every few seconds, especially when at rest and hear a "pop" noise. It’s very disappointing for me and annoying too. This happens also during charging the battery but it stops as soon as when I give it some work to do, for example, copy the files. Any ideas how to tackle it?

Re: Hard Drive making clunking noise when idle

I found similar complaints in relation to the WD drive and found a link to "QuietHDD" - a small free program that made the irritating noise stopped immediately. Just glancing on it at exactly what it does and the current configuration, but here's the propaganda:
    Well, then maybe you noticed an annoying clicking sound that comes from time to time. That's why we wrote quietHDD. This is a very small Windows application (~ 60 KBytes) which eliminates the sound. After spending some time in the development of the more useful and more were created, but still - and always will be - a small utility to reduce noise. QuietHDD EeeHDD is the successor. I noticed that more and more people with no ASUS Notebook eeeHDD / Netbook as far as quietHDD eeeHDD name and added some things like a GUI configurable, AAM and so on.

Please note that this sound is mostly noise in the Seagate hard drives, but other producers have also reported the following:

• Small (about 60 KB)
    • It does not consumes CPU time and uses a very small amount of RAM.
    • The functional use and sensitive, but powerful, graphical user interface GUI and non-possible through the command line interface.
    • Modify or disables the Advanced Power Management (APM), snapping the main hard drive in terms of power and battery status.
    • Modify the Automatic Acoustic Management (AAM) adjusting the main hard drive in terms of power and battery status.
    • Works with almost any modern hard drive SATA and PATA.
    • Compatibility: Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 200x, Windows Vista.

Some additional information’s are as follows:
    The click sound is produced by the Seagate hard drive of my eeePC 1000H (Seagate ST9160827AS).
    When idle, the drive wants to park the heads because the Advanced Power Management (APM) of the hard drive is activated by default every time the drive motor spins up after suspend. This APM park feature produces the really annoying sound.

Even I would like to add some more points to it such as
    Now, whenever the system starts, wakes up from suspend or the drives APM are activated. The click sound comes back again and again. This little tool just sits in the sys-tray and will recognize when the system wakes up from suspend or hibernate and disable the drives APM feature. That's all.

I even had the same situation with my previous 80 GB maxtor hard, and I thought that meant imminent death, so I went to the competition. Store you bought it and gave me a new one.

The problem is as follows:
    1. The first day or two I get the record, I do not notice abnormal sounds at all.
    2. After a few days however, the strong "noise parking" "click" occurs. It often happens when the disk is to load / save data, but also during the time when there is random disk access much at all. When this happens, my computer freezes momentarily 1 / 2 second. It seems to be occurring more frequently now. There was never a crash of data.

Last days I read on the Maxtor site about the noise the hard drive and told me occasional "drive by clicking" noises are acceptable, but I've used / owned a dozen computers and have never had a hard drive to do this. I guess I'll get another spare hard drive soon, because even if the unit is not going to die soon is annoying as hell. I'm thinking maybe sending the draft. store near me, was that they have been damaged.