Thread: Can't calibrate laptop battery?

Can't calibrate laptop battery?

I have a Gateway NV59C that I bought less than a year ago. It was running perfectly until a couple of days ago that I noticed that after leaving it plugged in for a few hours, it had still only reached about 72% charge. I tried all the tricks I knew; took the battery out and unplugged the AC, held the power button for a while. Nothing.

I uninstalled the battery in device manager, reinstalled, and that raised it a few percentages, but not much.

Then I found on the internet about re-calibrating the battery through a discharge cycle. Tried that too, but didnt work, and I believe it's because my computer never registers a full charge. I have a light on the laptop that should turn orange to green when it's fully charged; left it plugged in all day, never turned green. I'm sure that's why the calibration didn't work.

I should mention that the laptop lasts significantly longer than what the gauge says it should, so I'm going to assume it's not an actual battery issue, and it certainly works with just the AC. I think it's just the gauge that's really off and won't register a full charge.

Now, it won't hold a charge above 69%, no matter what I do.

What else can I try??? I'm really frustrated at this point. I checked in my BiOS too, but I don't have any battery options in my BiOS.

Can a battery deplete that badly in just a few months? I didn't think it could.

Help!
    Last edited by AKinDC; 26-07-2011 at 08:49 AM.

Re: Can't calibrate laptop battery?

That problem that you are facing could be possibly caused by the overcharging the battery , which might have lead you to this, problem know the problem that you are having could be fixed without knowing the accurate charge that is discharged by your battery, so I guess, charging your battery to full and then using it to until the last charged particle of the battery is used , can help you battery recover .