Thread: Suggestion for updating hard drive in thinkpad T520

Suggestion for updating hard drive in thinkpad T520

Hi, I have a thinkpad T520 and with that I am using 320 GB of HDD from last few months, but it seems that the hard disk that I am using is not actually enough for storing the data, and because of that only I am looking to have a new hard drive for myself, so please suggest me the best suitable hard disk with the laptop I have. And which one is the good option buying a HDD for laptop or buy a External hard drive?

Re: Suggestion for updating hard drive in thinkpad T520

As per your hardware configuration you should get the 500 GB 7200 rpm HDD for the laptop you have, because the thing is like though you can put any of the HDD with different capacity, and after all the capacity doesn’t matter at all, the thing that matter is the dimension of the HDD. If any model is best suitable with your laptop, you can fit it in the laptop for sure. My recommendation is to have Hitachi Travelstar SATA 500GB 7200rpm for your laptop.

I am agree with the above user as you can purchase a HDD with any capacity but still as far as I know you should get the HDD from Seagate, because the model provided by this companies are specially made for the laptop that you have. If I would be in your place I buy two HDD such as a SSD as the system drive and put the 500GB in a ThinkPad Serial ATA Hard Drive. but still my recommendation is like you should get the one according to your convenience.

If you are willing to have a SSD drive as well for your machine then that’s the good thing as you’ll get a better HDD with a faster transferring and functioning skills. And its not necessary that you should by the SDD drive also with higher capacity, rather you can keep 80GB-100 GB SSD drive for the system and another for storing the data. This will make the machine run faster.

I also have the same model and in that I have installed a Corsair Force 2 HDD in the machine, so would suggest you the same thing as you should also get the same for yourself, and as mentioned by the above user you if you are looking to have a SSD drive for you thinkpad stay away from the Intel 320 series until they get the 8MB bug worked out it. this is very common bug regards to Intel HDD.

Thanks for the suggestion guys as they were too helpful, and really I was not aware about the concept of SSD as a main drive and other as a secondary, that is the wonderful thing I have got. But still some of the names I want to know about the HDD. And yeah no of you have given me the suggestion for External HDD, as I was thinking that this would be the initial choice. But anyways thanks for the above suggestions.

As far as storing is concern, we can make use of the External HDD, in fact that would be the best option but if you want to the system on the machine at that time you should prefer the SSD only, so you can have two option as rather have External HDD or SSD. According to me you should get the Hitatchi 750GB Travelstar 7200rpm. And off course 750 would be enough isn’t it?