Thread: would Moving Aperture library to external hard drive slow down my performace ?

would Moving Aperture library to external hard drive slow down my performace ?

Actually I don’t have a query here,I just want some suggestion from you guys , I have a mac book pro , which is not too old and I have a hard –disk space of around 320 gb of hard-disk space m which is getting smaller every day I use the my Mac book pro as I put a lot of movies and other stuff in my laptop which are important to me and hence cannot delete them, well I have a aperture library which is like a 200 gb in size so I think thinking of moving this to an external drive so is would this affect the performance.

Re: would Moving Aperture library to external hard drive slow down my performace ?

Hey , think that purchasing fire wire hard drive with a space of just 2.5 size would help you to gain a better control over it , as my friend has used this with the adobe lightroom application and that seems to be similar to this, so I guess it should not be any problem for doing this , I have been previously have this problem but , I did not have any think that slow down your performace unless and until you are accessing the photos from the external drive .

Re: would Moving Aperture library to external hard drive slow down my performace ?

We ll that might be just the case other than leaning towards the 2.5 , I would suggest you to buy that with a power cable as that might just help to increase the efficiency that is provided by the software that you are using , I would rather like to know of that is really possible for me to do that , I have been having this from years and the drive cause a very noisy fan. But I hope that a good fan less case would work better for you..

Yea, that might just be better that many such hard-drives available like the one with WD caviar green and other is the transcend external hard-drive, so that might just work for you. Mine friend has a EMI shield and that works better for Mac book pro .Well the choice is completely your , it all depends on what speed and cost are you targeting at , so I think that it should not be possible for you ,I have done this on my cousin brother laptop and that worked for him .

Actually I guess , you guys might have interpreter this wrong , I have been using this since long and I think the guy who posted this query , just wanted to increase the performance of his Mac book by shifting the aperture library to an external drive so that it could increase the performance of the drive that it has , well If that was the question then I think that you should try it using the a hard –disk with a 7200 rpm or above , as that might just increase your speed while you are accessing it .

Hey Julie my father did this with his iMac as well having the identical predicament for the reason that his aperture library grows excessively big. I would put forward if you don't require portability that you be supposed to use a 3.5 hard drive and at least 1 tb given that space is inexpensive. There are no slowdowns and the only obsession I recommend is because it takes time to copy to leave it on overnight. look forward to this help you out.