Thread: Unplug USB will turn on Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk

Unplug USB will turn on Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk

I have a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk 2TB Desktop External Hard Drive. I'm running Windows 7 Pro OS. When I unplug the USB drive from the computer, the drive will not shut off without me unplugging the power. This also happens when the drive just has the power plugged in. Recently, I did a firmware upgrade on it and I did not notice any problem with this process. If anyone have experience about it then please share your own thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Re: Unplug USB will turn on Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk

hey, I think you have not turn off WD when you unplugged the USB cable. Hence this kind of issue arrive on the system. There is only one way present to solve this problem. Whenever you try to unplug the USB then you also need to unplug the power supply of this drive. Then only the drive is to be stop the drive from spinning. This is also happen with the 3TB WD hard disk. Then use this solution and it will be effective to solve the problem.

When the drive goes into power mode it disconnects and immediately reconnects and never goes to sleep. This is the main reason behind this problem. I think this happen because you perform the firmware upgrade on your system. Then you need to just do the correctly upgrade the firmware again to solve this problem. This is necessary and it will be solve your problem. Then do this task and check the problem is solved or not.

This is the USB setting problem of the system. You need to right-click on My Computer and then click on Manage option. The next is to be hit the Device Manager and expand the Universal Serial Bus Controllers option. Then double-click on the 1st Root Hub and open the Power tab. It help you to see the hard drive is connected with the system or not. If it is still connected the disable the option present on the dialog box. It will be solve the problem.

Hey dude, I also faced the similar kind of problem in my windows system. When I unplug the USB from the back of the drive the drive powers itself back on within 2 minutes. Then I read several article and I realized that the problem is being arrives because of the USB controller. Then I follow the same process which is mentioned in the above post. This will be work and finally I was able to solve this complicated problem.

Hey, anyone knows how to solve this on Mac?

Quote Originally Posted by Aelay View Post
    Hey, anyone knows how to solve this on Mac?
    Well, there seems to be a common problem with the FreeAgent GoFlex Desk irrespective of the operating system that you are using. There is only one way still now to stop the drive from spinning and that is to unplug it from the AC power. If you still have the return policy left on the drive then better get a western digital hard drive instead of this FreeAgent GoFlex Desk drive.