Thread: Does MKV program makes 1:1 copies of BD's or DVD's?

Does MKV program makes 1:1 copies of BD's or DVD's?

I started to wonder whether any program actually makes MKV 1:1 copies of BD or DVD. Because of another problem, which will probably start a thread later, I've really been exploring options MKV ripping. One thing I noticed is that with almost any option to MKV ripping out there, it seems that a true 1:1 copy is being made. So in my mind, if the number of frames in H264 differs from the source, then you are not getting a true 1:1 copy. My logic is wrong here?

Re: Does MKV program makes 1:1 copies of BD's or DVD's?

MKVs are containers. No remixes being done to put the information in the file. I think something in your process is skewing the results. I have heard nothing but problems with DVDFab mkvs created and honestly do not find a suitable solution for mkvs. I hope my answer provide all necessary help you require.

As far as I am concerned with MakeMKV, I would be curious if you get the same results with both h264 and vc1. I know with eac3to if cannot determine the correct fps for h264 and instead defaults to 25fps (so for Blue Ray you have to manually set it back to 23.976). This is not an issue with VC-1. I am not sure what MakeMKV does to address this, but if you get inconsistent results between VC1 and H264 that could be an answer.

Well, poor frame rate detection should not affect the total number of frames. Total number of frames x frame rate = runtime. Even if the new calculation of total number of frames on the basis of execution time and frame rate, which would translate into a difference of 4% in the total number of frames if the frame rate is 25fps mistakenly assumed. That would be a difference of 6,500 frames, not the 12 that go with DVDFab or difference of + 160 000 with MakeMKV. However, I do not think the error is with regards eac3to. I think it's with MKV Merge. eac3to correctly detects frame types H264.

According to the creator of MakeMKV, flows back extracted from the MKV with eac3to must be identical to the currents drawn from the physical disk, all the way to the same MD5 sum. MakeMKV are only supposed to be putting the currents in a container like MKV Merge. This is what I have found on internet.

After investigating the output MakeMKV DVD (MPEG2), MakeMKV actually seems to be altering the length of the title. The duration reported a title really seems to decrease a few seconds after MakeMKV it manages. It seems that this may be a frame rate problem. 29.97 fps to 30 fps processed materials, and 23.97 fps material processed 24 fps. This increased speed makes the short duration of the film to be shorter than ~ 0.1%. This also means you are altering the pitch of the audio a bit.

The extracted files MakeMKV m2v output does not match the flows extracted from the disc with DVD Decrypter or Demuxer PGC. After repeating these tests with fusion MKV, the currents remain the same. The only current method that I found to 1:01 MKV is a true workflow Blue-ray:

• Eac3to sequences to extract the physical disk.
    • BDSup2Sub to check for forced subtitles subs (optional).
    • Remix with MKV Merge GUI.